Why Colorado’s success is undoubtedly sustainable

After beating the University of Nebraska on Saturday, the Colorado Buffaloes now find themselves at 2-0 and nationally ranked for the first time since a brief stint in 2020. Winning their second consecutive game, new head coach Deion Sanders and the Buffaloes have already doubled last year’s abysmal 1-11 win total. With Heisman watchlist players Travis Hunter and Shedeur Sanders completely dominating the first couple of games, many analysts have already begun to sing the praises of the team as well as coach Sanders, or coach Prime, as he likes to call himself. 

While the praise is certainly well deserved, there have been some analysts and fans who question just how long coach Prime can maintain this level of success. Although there can be some cause for concern, it is safe to say that Colorado football is officially back and better than ever. With exceptional coaching and superstar players, it is clear that Colorado has what it takes to maintain a steady stream of success in the near future. 

Led by junior quarterback Shedeur Sanders, the Colorado offense has simply never looked better. In just two games this season, the team has managed to rack up a total of 1,019 yards and 10 total touchdowns. Though mediocre to some, it is quite the stat when realizing that the Buffaloes only recorded 22 total touchdowns for the entirety of the previous 2022 season. In just their first two games, Colorado has already managed to score almost half as many touchdowns as they did last year. 

The offense would not be what it is without  stars  Travis Hunter and Shedeur Sanders. As mentioned before, the two Heisman watchlist players have been nothing short of phenomenal in these two weeks of college football. Hunter even managed to bring a new meaning to the term “two-way player,” as he found himself playing 126 snaps at both receiver and cornerback in a win against the TCU Horned Frogs. Playing nearly every snap of the game, Hunter proved to be one of the best players in college football, as he made key plays on both defense and offense to win the game. Though he certainly stood out, he is not the only player that left his mark on the game. Former HBCU quarterback Shedeur Sanders torched both Nebraska’s and TCU’s defenses with his elite decision-making and passing ability. Throwing for 510 yards and four touchdowns in the weekend opener, Sanders showed the college football world that he is much more than just the coach’s son. 

With such a high-powered offense, Colorado will find themselves able to compete and win almost every game they play this season. Pairing such a high-level offense with a genius motivator such as Deion Sanders, the Buffaloes are sure to have nothing but success in the near future. While that does not necessarily mean they will win every single game, it does mean that the team will compete at a high level that is worthy of both respect and praise. Turning the program around seemingly overnight, coach Prime and his star players have laid the foundation for sustainable success in the 2023 college football season.