UTSA rises 92 spaces in U.S. News rankings

Chloe Williams

This year’s list for the U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Colleges revealed that UTSA increased by 92 spots. According to UTSA Today, this is the most significant increase of all public universities and the second-most of all colleges and universities. UTSA now ranks No. 151 among all public universities nationwide. 

For the last 40 years, The Best Colleges rankings have served as a way high school students throughout the country can decipher where they want to go to college. Nearly 1,500 colleges and universities are included in the rankings, making the list a key resource for students seeking more information on why their potential college is worthy of attending. 

This year’s lists provided changes in how the U.S. News decided the rankings, with a higher emphasis on social mobility and outcomes. Therefore, UTSA took the No. 58 and No. 47 spots for innovation and commitment to social mobility. This measure is determined by examining the graduation rates of economically disadvantaged students, which includes first-generation and Pell-Grant-awarded students. 

“Over the last decade, we have worked strategically to become a Carnegie R1 institution, to be eligible for National Research University fund status here in Texas, to be recognized for our immense progress in student success measures, to become a Seal Certified institution from Excelencia in Education, and to showcase how our students benefit from a UTSA education as they enter the workforce with low debt and high economic and social mobility,” said President Taylor Eighmy. 

With factors such as first-generation graduation rates and the proportion of college graduates being prioritized for this year’s list, UTSA is receiving recognition for these accomplishments. As a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), the university is also committed to providing students of all backgrounds with the utmost resources to excel educationally. With this level of recognition for their efforts to create a learning environment where all students feel accepted, UTSA is taking the necessary steps toward being a model for other HSIs. 

Among other accomplishments, UTSA has also seen a decrease in the average time it takes for students to graduate. UTSA Today stated that “[This] means students are entering the workforce earlier and graduating with less debt. Financial aid and student success programs, which enable students to focus on degree completion, have been key to UTSA’s success in retaining and graduating students.”

For more information on the U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Colleges or to view the ranking list, visit us.news.com