‘Peanut Butter Parking’ concludes with over 661 lbs of donations

Genevieve Vega
The peanut butter stash in the Whataburger Resource Room, located in the Student Union (SU 1.04.06).

Earlier this month, Campus Services collected over 661 pounds of peanut butter for the Whataburger Resource Room as part of its annual Peanut Butter Parking campaign. The campaign returned this year for the first time since 2019, allowing over 200 individuals to pay for parking citations received between Aug. 28 and Sept. 1 with a jar of peanut butter. 

“All donations were delivered to the Whataburger Resource Room to support our Roadrunners and help reduce food insecurity on campus,” Clay Haverland, assistant vice president for Campus Services, said. 

Haverland shared that creamy peanut butter was the favorite this year. “The donations were a mix of peanut butter payments for citations, as well as donations without citations,” he said.

Beyond the donations they collect through the Peanut Butter Parking campaign, Campus Services works with UTSA Dining to ensure that the Whataburger Resource Room has the resources it needs to support Roadrunners facing food insecurity. 

“Each year, we donate meals to the Whataburger Resource Room’s meal share program, which allows students in need to request up to 15 donated meals per semester,” Haverland said. “Last year, a total of 3,884 meals were donated to the program from Campus Services’ annual meal donation allotment, donations from the fall and spring Swipe Out Hunger campaigns and UTSA Dining’s pledge to match all Swipe Out Hunger donations.”

The Peanut Butter Parking campaign will return next fall, continuing on the schedule Campus Services established before the COVID-19 Pandemic. In the meantime, Campus Services encourages students to give back to the Roadrunner community in other ways, such as donating up to two unused meal “swipes” during the Swipe Out Hunger event in October, hosted by UTSA Dining and Campus Services. Throughout the month, UTSA Dining will match every donation to double its impact.

To learn more about the Peanut Butter Parking and Swipe Out Hunger campaigns, visit the Campus Services website.