UTSA freezes tuition at 2021 rates

Dustin Vickers

In the legislature’s efforts to reduce college education costs, UTSA has recently changed the annual tuition price. On Aug. 24, the University of Texas System Board of Regents voted at their board meeting to keep certain tuition fees at the same rates for the next two years. Since then, UTSA has frozen in-state costs for undergraduate students, including tuition and all academic fees. Under this umbrella are mandatory academic fees, academic-related general fees and class course fees for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 school years. This decision will freeze UTSA’s tuition rate at its Fall 2021 rate.

UTSA’s tuition and fees are $4,495 per semester for undergraduate in-state students taking 12 credit hours per semester. This is the third lowest rate for research universities in the 

University of Texas System. Additionally, UTSA’s total financial aid and scholarship disbursement is estimated to top $300 million. 

Seventy-one percent of UTSA’s student population is eligible for need-based financial aid, and over 43% receive federal Pell grants. Pell grants are provided to students with greater financial need. Undergraduate students who receive no family contribution to their college costs have 90% or more of their tuition covered through financial aid, provided they submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the necessary deadlines and meet eligibility criteria. This year, rather than opening in October, FAFSA will be opening in December.  

UTSA President Taylor Eighmy shares his enthusiasm in a UTSA press release: “I appreciate the Board’s action. As the cost of living rises across the nation and here in Texas, we remain steadfast in our commitment to provide a top-quality education at an affordable price.”