Springtime football is here to stay

XFL-USFL merge to become one football league
Courtesy of XFL
MARCH 19, 2023: The Arlington Renegades against the San Antonio Brahmas at The Alamo Dome on March 19th, 2023 in San Antonio, TX. (© Alonso Ramirez/XFL)

The XFL and the United States Football League announced on Thursday that the two Spring football leagues would merge before the 2024 season. The merger comes as both leagues are trying to find a foothold in the off-season football market. Historically, Springtime football has struggled to attract long-term fans and investors. 

The Alliance of American Football folded in the middle of their season in 2019 due to horrendous management. Then in 2020, the XFL was canceled in the middle of the season due to financial troubles induced by the pandemic. The USFL has had problems with teams playing in hub cities rather than their namesake city. 

Crucial details of the merger are still at large. There are questions of what teams are going to be saved or folded that come with the merger. What will the TV deal look like, with the USFL being owned and broadcasted on Fox and the XFL broadcasted on ESPN? Who will be the owners of the new league? And most importantly, how will the league operate in regards to rules and kickoff format? 

The viability of spring football is still questioned by many with sub-par viewership numbers. The XFL last season had an average of 622,000 with the USFL doing a little worse at 602,000 viewers. The two leagues do have significant upside compared to the NHL with hockey only pulling in 584,000 viewers per game. 

The XFL’s San Antonio Brahmas future is still unknown post-merger but it is unlikely that the Brahmas would fold due to the team not suffering problems, such as a poor fanbase and stadium issues. The Brahmas had some of the better attendance numbers right behind football-starved St. Louis. 

One thing is certain, Springtime football is not going out without a fight. The merger looks to benefit both leagues in breaking the stigma that Springtime football cannot be successful. The XFL-USFL will continue its main goal of providing a place for players to continue their dream of playing professional football. 

View Comments (1)