10 free apps to make your student life easier

Chloe Williams

Keeping track of your day-to-day life can be difficult, especially as a college student. Thankfully, the digital age has opened the door to many mobile apps with the sole purpose of making your life easier. Stay tuned as we cover 10 free apps to download to help your time management, scheduling and everything else in between. 

Flora – Green Focus is an all-in-one time management app with features including a to-do list and timer. The unique part of the app’s timer is that you plant virtual trees and they grow as the timer reaches the end. If you open different apps, the tree will die. This app is one of my most recommended for time management and staying off your phone while working. Other cool features include friend capabilities and with their premium options, real trees can be planted for your studying. Flora is available for free on the App Store and will be coming soon to Google Play and Chrome

TimeBloc is a streamlined personal daily planner. This app allows you to set up daily plans and routines and block them into events. TimeBloc also syncs with your calendar and allows you to set different routines based on days. TimeBloc is free on the App Store and Google Play Store. The application offers the option to upgrade to premium for $59.99 annually and open up unlimited routines, calendars, statistics and advanced notifications. 

• Flow — time management

Flow is an app designed on the foundation of the Pomodoro timer. This technique includes structured work and break periods at a 25:5 minute ratio. This timer is said to better structure your work, increase productivity and reduce stress. Flow simplifies this experience by creating these timers for you. The app is available for download on the App Store

Reflectly is an AI-powered journal meant to help you structure and reflect upon your days. The app includes mood check-ins to track your emotions each day. Other features include a daily motivational quote or affirmation and motivational reminders. A personal favorite feature is the daily challenge which challenges you to complete a task you may have been putting off. Reflectly is available for free on the App Store and Google Play Store. A premium upgrade is available for $59.99 annually. 

• CollaNote — note-taking

CollaNote is a free note-taking application that is seen as a cheaper alternative to GoodNotes. The app allows you to create folders and notebooks, upload and write on PDFs with many different pens and brushes, create an interactive digital planner, use translation options and much more. CollaNote is available for free on the App Store with the option to upgrade to premium for a $11.90 one-time fee. This upgrade unlocks stickers, wallpaper customization, locked notes, 25 brushes, audio recording and more. 

Notion is one of the applications that you either love or hate. It has unlimited capabilities and customization, and while this can be daunting to some, there are plenty of templates available to help you get started. Notion is free to use and is available online, on desktop, through the App Store and the Google Play Store

• Mint — finances 

Mint is the number one most downloaded personal finance app and allows you to directly sync with your bank account. Based on your spending and income, it lets you manage your accounts, see your subscriptions and get statistics based on the shown information. The app also allows you to easily create a budget and help yourself reach your financial goals. Mint is available for free on the App Store and Google Play Store

Monefy helps make budgeting and money management easy. The app allows you to easily record expenses and income. Quick categories to track expenses include transport, entertainment, pets, health and more. Monefy also allows switching between payment method tracking like card or cash. Monefy is available for free on the App Store and Google Play Store and has the option to upgrade to premium for $59.99 annually. This upgrade unlocks everything in the app and allows you to create your own categories, device sync and experience no ads. 

UNiDays simplifies the student discount experience. The app allows students to customize their discount experience and favorite brands of choice. The app is similar to their already useful website, just with greater customization. The application is free on the App Store and Google Play Store

Student Beans is another student discount destination. Similar to their website, this application provides different codes and discounts available to students. The app offers exclusive deals, personalized content and easily accessible discount codes. Student Beans is available for free on the App Store and Google Play Store

With the abundance of resources available to college students, it is easier than ever to stay on top of your schoolwork. Which app is your favorite to help with the college workload?

Which app is your favorite to help with the college workload?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (1)