Where to watch the solar eclipse next week

Illustration by Kara Lee, Photo by Dustin Vickers

Get ready for a spectacular sight in the sky next week. A rare annular solar eclipse, also known as a “ring of fire,” will be visible in seven states on Saturday, Oct. 14. San Antonio is directly in the eclipse path and will be one of the best places to see the phenomenon. 

An annular eclipse happens when the moon passes between the sun and Earth while at its furthest point from Earth. The moon appears smaller than the sun, creating what looks like a ring of fire in the sky. The next annular eclipse will be in Oct. 2041, although San Antonio will see another eclipse — a total eclipse — on April 8, 2024.

Solar eclipses are rare on their own, but to see them on land is even more rare. This year’s eclipse crosses paths with 29 national parks from Oregon to Texas and is aligned with 18 state parks and natural areas in Texas.

The partial eclipse will begin at 10:23 a.m., and the annular phase will start at 11:52 a.m. The maximum eclipse, when the moon is closest to the center of the sun, will happen at 11:54 a.m., lasting about four minutes and 21 seconds. The entire eclipse will end at about 1:33 p.m. 

It is not safe to look directly at the sun at any point during an annular eclipse, even through a camera or telescope lens. To prevent eye injury, viewers will need to use special-purpose solar filters like eclipse glasses — not just sunglasses. More information about how to safely view a solar eclipse can be found at eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety.

If you do happen to own a pair of eclipse glasses by Oct. 14, feel free to catch the eclipse wherever you happen to be during those four minutes or head to your favorite open-sky park. If not, there are a number of events happening in San Antonio where you can safely view and learn about the solar eclipse.

Mission San José Education Center

Missions National Historical Park will host free solar viewing from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at “Queen of the Missions,” located at Mission San José. The park will provide a limited number of eclipse glasses for event-goers. There will be a 20-minute presentation with an astronomer from UTSA’s Curtis Vaughan Jr. Observatory at 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. where viewers can learn about the science behind solar eclipses.

Eisenhower Park 

San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting a free eclipse viewing party at the Eisenhower Park Mass Pavilion from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., offering eclipse glasses while supplies last. Visitors will be able to experience the eclipse by looking at sunspots through a telescope equipped with a solar filter. The event will also include educational seminars about the sun, solar radiation and the greenhouse effect.

Witte Museum

The Witte Museum invites visitors to watch the annular eclipse at their museum campus starting at 10:30 a.m. Visitors during the eclipse will receive eclipse glasses while supplies last. Afterward, they will host a “last contact” party, referring to when the moon no longer touches the sun, where visitors can create eclipse-inspired art and learn how to create their own eclipse viewer for the 2024 total eclipse. The event will last until 4 p.m., and museum admission is $15 per person.

Government Canyon State Natural Area

Government Canyon State Natural Area is open for visitors to watch the eclipse, take a guided hike or even go camping. They will have a limited supply of eclipse glasses for sale in their visitor center. The park will also host “come-and-go” educational booths in parking lot C and a guided post-eclipse hike at 12:45 p.m. for those who wish to enjoy the scenery further. Park admission is $6 per person.

Scobee Education Center 

The Scobee Education Center will be hosting a free eclipse viewing festival, with educational activities, food trucks and other vendors from 10 a.m. to noon. They will distribute a limited number of eclipse glasses to guests. The event will also include a planetarium and hands-on activities inside the center. The website notes that visitors should use the Valero address as a navigation guide and park in the parking lot across the street from Valero.

The annular solar eclipse is a unique and memorable experience that everyone should try to see at least once in their lifetime. If you will be in the path of the eclipse on Oct. 14, order your solar eclipse glasses today or make plans to visit one of the events from this list with your friends, family or partner.

Time until the solar eclipse
Have fun and be safe watching the eclipse!