World Mental Health Day

Jenna Taylor

With the number of people with mental health conditions on the rise, it is important to spread awareness about mental health and dismantle the stigma and stereotypes that surround it. On Oct. 10, World Mental Health Day gives us all the opportunity to raise awareness for mental health and stand with those who struggle with mental health conditions. There are many resources available for those with depression, anxiety and other disorders. Below is a list of some of these resources. 

American Psychiatric Association

The American Psychiatric Association assists users in finding a therapist via their Psychiatrist Locator. With the locator, you can simply check your surrounding area for available therapists, or you can do a more advanced search by adding what sort of conditions the therapist specializes in, the languages they speak, if the program accepts insurance and more. 

Wellness 360

Wellness 360 is a counseling center dedicated to helping UTSA students find therapy, whether it is for a group or an individual. Recently, they opened up a new app known as TimelyCare for students to find counseling and more “advanced physiological care.” If you are a UTSA student who struggles with depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, eating disorders or other mental health conditions, Wellness 360 is a great resource to take advantage of. 

SAMHSA’s National Helpline

If you are in need of help with substance abuse or a mental health condition, you can call SAMHSA’s National Helpline. SAMHSA can connect you with treatment that suits your needs, including medication and programs for substance abuse. Their mission is not only to help people find healing but also to spread awareness about mental health.

Talkspace

Talkspace is another popular online therapy program. They have many therapy options to choose from, including individuals, couples, veterans and more. Since it is an online program, there is no need for face-to-face appointments. Talkspace makes it easy to find a therapist and treatment that is right for you. 

If you are in need of immediate assistance, other resources include the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, the National Alliance on Mental Health and 911.

If you or a loved one are struggling with a mental health condition, it is important to get connected with treatment. It is not a weakness to need help. Mental health conditions can become life-threatening, so World Mental Health Day should not be the only day we raise awareness. The more we spread the word about mental health, the closer we come to destroying the stigma surrounding it and getting people the help they need to survive.