Task force launched to enhance campus experience

Kayla McCutcheon

In response to the strategic plan refresh, UTSA has launched a task force to enhance campus life for students and faculty. 

UTSA completed its year-long strategic plan refresh process last month. The report of the year-long process included the university’s three strategic destinations, insights learned from sessions and the advancement of UTSA becoming a Hispanic serving public research university. 

The refresh completed destination one and is now structuring the process for destinations two and three. UTSA is focusing on destination three, which will renovate the campus to a place of working, learning and discovery.

Destination three, the Campus Experience Task Force, aims to identify the best practices that will promote campus experience, enable flexible work guidance and strengthen academic course and program methods. “The task force’s work will result in specific recommendations to improve the campus experience for all Roadrunners,” said Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Operations and Strategic Initiatives Angela Griffith. The task force will be composed of around 20 representatives from different divisions on campus, including students and other governing groups. 

Launched earlier this month, the task force will collect data and benchmark the best practices through the fall semester. While gathering data, the task force will match its findings with institutional priorities. This includes space utilization, downtown campus efforts, project development, student metrics and uplifting UTSA’s three strategic destinations. 

Data will be collected on work modality, course and program modality and best practices from other universities. Additional feedback will be collected through a comment section on the task force’s website, which is currently under development. 

“By supporting an inspiring and engaging campus experience, we can create an environment where our students, faculty and staff will thrive,” stated Senior Vice President for Business Affairs and Chief Enterprise Development Officer Veronica Salazar. Salazar will be a main sponsor for the Campus Experience Task Force with Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Heather Shipley. 

All updates to destination three will be presented to the UT System Board of Regents in November. After compiling data from the findings, the task force will present them alongside a goal to implement recommendations by Summer 2024.