SAMA showcases 250 years of American art

Malaki Lingg

San Antonio Museum of Art’s (SAMA) new exhibit “American Made: Paintings and Sculpture from the DeMell Jacobsen Collection” takes visitors through 250 years of American art with over 100 pieces overall. “American Made” features acclaimed artists such as Robert Henri, Grant Wood and Loïs Mailou Jones and showcases multiple periods of American art and styles.

The exhibit opened on Oct. 14 and features art from the DeMell Jacobsen collection. The collection was started by Diane DeMell Jacobsen in honor of her late husband, Tom Jacobsen. The exhibit was organized by the Dixon Gallery and Gardens in Memphis, Tennessee, and the Mint Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina, allowing the pieces to come together as a traveling exhibit. 

Previously, “American Made” has been featured in museums across the United States such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C.

The exhibition opens with portraits from the American Colonial era, featuring artists like Benjamin West and Sarah Miriam Peale. Then it moves on to feature mid-19th-century American landscape paintings depicting coasts and shores from across the country. Some landscape artists included are William Bradford and William Trost Richards. 

The exhibit also features floral works by Adelheid Dietrich, sculptures by artists like Paul Manship and surrealist works by Francis Criss and others. 

“American Made” is open from Oct. 14 to Jan. 7, and is available from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays through Sundays. SAMA ticket prices are $20, with an additional $5 charge for access to the exhibit. SAMA is free to visit, excluding the charge for “American Made,” from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Sundays and from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays for Bexar County residents.

For more information on SAMA and “American Made: Paintings and Sculpture from the DeMell Jacobsen Collection” refer to https://www.samuseum.org/.

Time until American Made closes at SAMA:
Did you check the exhibit out?