President Eighmy offers guidance after violence in Israel

Mohitha Ravikumar

President Taylor Eighmy shared a message with the UTSA community two weeks ago regarding recent altercations in the Israel-Hamas war to remind students of the support and resources available to them on campus.

On Oct. 7, Israel’s Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, told his country, “Israel is at war” after a group of Hamas soldiers surprise-attacked Jerusalem. “Many members of our university community are directly impacted,” Eighmy said. “Even for those not directly affected by the violence, there are feelings of sadness, fear, and frustration that take a heavy emotional toll.”

UTSA has restricted all university-related travel to Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip until further notice because of the continuing development of the situation. The university does not currently have any students or faculty in the region in university-sponsored programs, and they are carefully monitoring conditions for those traveling elsewhere abroad. 

“As we witness the aftermath of the devastating terror attacks on Israel and the war now underway in Israel and Gaza, we feel a profound impact on our campus community,” Eighmy said. “Violence against the innocent is unconscionable, cannot be supported, and is inconsistent with our core values.” 

Eighmy stressed in the statement that “[the campus community’s] health and wellbeing remain [the university’s] highest priority” and urged members of the community to utilize UTSA’s available resources and check in on one another.

UTSA’s Mental Health and Counseling Services provides short-term individual counseling, group counseling and psychiatry. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a free, confidential service provided to UTSA benefits-eligible employees and their dependents. The EAP offers counseling, referrals and consultation services to assist in resolving work or life issues in order to live a more balanced life. 

Global Initiatives provides group advising sessions throughout the year to assist international students during their time at UTSA. International Student Services Advisors are also there to assist on an individual basis through virtual or telephone appointments

Eighmy commented on the situation by stating, “As we reflect on this tragedy and our place as a campus community, now more than ever it is important that we stand together to uphold our collective values of respect, integrity, and inclusiveness.” He encourages students, staff and faculty who experience discrimination or harassment to file a report with the Behavioral Intervention Team or on the UTSA LifeSave app so that appropriate action can take place. 

UTSA will continue to share support resources and updates as necessary during this crisis. To learn more about Eighmy’s commentary about the event and links for the services listed above, visit utsa.edu/today/2023/10/story/utsa-provides-communtiy-guidance-following-israel-attack.html.