Host a memorable and inexpensive Friendsgiving

Chloe Williams

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching, and while this time is often spent with family, it is also an opportunity to appreciate and recognize your friends. Join us as we share tips and tricks on how to host or help create an unforgettable and affordable Friendsgiving. 

Invitations

A fun invite can get your friends excited about the event and make sure they have all the necessary information. There are several free digital invitation options, but if you want to go the extra mile, you can use some of your allocated $12 a semester to print the invitations on campus. A couple of options for free invitations are: 

• Create your own or use a template on Canva
  • Send one through Evite.
  • Download through Adobe Stock using your UTSA login.

Decorations 

One of the most exciting parts of Friendsgiving, besides spending time with friends, is the atmosphere and decorations. The table setting and plating do not have to be an unattainable or expensive addition. Look on Pinterest for table-setting inspiration to decide the vibe you want, then go thrifting to find what you need. Another way to boost your party is to create mini menus to display on the table and print them out using your printing credits. Thrift stores like Goodwill and Thrift City have large tableware areas to choose from. Things to be on the lookout for to make your Friendsgiving more aesthetically pleasing can be: 

Food

Food is expensive, but there are several ways to help alleviate the cost of hosting an event centered around food. The biggest money saver is making your friendsgiving into a potluck. Have each of your friends sign up for a dish or dessert to bring. To make it more fun, you could also set a theme for what they bring, like having everyone bring something that starts with the first letter of their name. A potluck spreads out the stress and expense from the host. There are plenty of blogs and lists of cheap but delicious meals to serve for Thanksgiving. Walmart also offers a “Convenient Holiday Meal” planner that creates a list based on your servings. Some inexpensive meals using ingredients from Walmart are: 

• Roasted sweet potatoes with honey and cinnamon — $11.31 for all ingredients. 
  • Mashed potatoes — $7.68 for all ingredients. 
  • Premade food: Au gratin potatoes for $1.16, pumpkin pie for $5.63 and charcuterie board for $13.98.

However you choose to celebrate this season of giving, be sure to share your love and appreciation for those around you. Cherish your time with friends and do not sweat the small stuff when hosting or attending a Friendsgiving.