Best museums in San Antonio

Dustin Vickers

Being the oldest major city in Texas, Alamo City is rich with culture spanning before Spanish colonization in the 1600s. San Antonio is home to some of the most interesting museums in the state. Museums are great spaces to learn and appreciate history, culture and creativity. We are going to highlight just five out of the many great museums in the 210. 

Witte Museum 

Since its founding in 1926, the Witte has been one of the most popular museums in San Antonio. A trademark feature of the museum is the revolving exhibits they have on display for a limited time. From ancient Egyptian artifacts to metricate particles from out of this world, every time you head to the Witte, you are bound to discover something new. Adult tickets are $15 on normal days, but every Tuesday, the museum offers free admission to all patrons from 3 to 6 p.m. 

McNay Art Museum 

In a beautiful Spanish Colonial Revival mansion, the McNay Art Museum has been a major destination for tourists and locals since opening its doors in 1952. The museum houses a variety of art styles, such as European, American and Modern Contemporary, totaling 22,000 pieces on display. Much like the Witte, the McNay Museum also has a variety of limited-time exhibits. Currently on display is Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” collection. Entry to the McNay is $15 for students and $20 for adults. 

UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures 

Built for the 1968 Hemisfair World’s Fair, the UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures has one of the most comprehensive collections dedicated to Texas history in the state. Each nationality that settled in Texas, as well as the many Native American tribes, are represented with an assortment of artifacts. Outside, there is a mock pioneer town where you can enter and experience how Texans lived when settling in the region in the 1800s. The Institute of Texan Culture only asks for a small donation to enter the museum. 

Hopscotch 

Located adjacent to Travis Park, Hopscotch is different compared to the other museums listed because everything on display is geared towards immersive interaction. A notable exhibit on display is the “Perspective Room,” where, if you stand in a different part of the room, you can appear larger or smaller. The “Secrets” exhibit is also interesting because you can anonymously hear other people’s secrets and also voice your own. Hopscotch is $20 for students and $24 for adults. 

The Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum 

Out of a former prohibition saloon, the Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum are two museums in one. The Buckhorn Museum is dedicated to Western United States culture from the 1800s to the early 1900s. The Buckhorn also has a large collection of taxidermy animals from around the world. Opened in 2006, the Texas Ranger Museum holds valuable artifacts from the iconic agency’s history, and some pieces are more than a century old. Being an old saloon, the museum also features a working bar and café that serve burgers. Adult tickets for the Buckhorn are $22.99, but one ticket gives you access to both museums.

San Antonio has over 300 years of culture and history that are preserved along the streets of Alamo City. This city is waiting to be explored and experienced to the fullest.

This poll has ended.

Which museum is your favorite?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.