30 years of frightening creativity

‘Dreamland: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas’ on display at the McNay

Every year, multiple movies signal the start of “spooky season,” or the weeks leading up to Halloween. Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is among those movies, and this year marks 30 years since the film’s release in 1993. To celebrate the 30th anniversary of this classic holiday movie, the McNay Art Museum is showcasing “Dreamland: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas,” an exhibit dedicated to the creepy artistry of the film. 

“Dreamland” presents itself to museumgoers as soon as they walk into the McNay, as it lies directly to the right of the entrance. On both sides of the walls that separate the exhibit from the rest of the museum are projected clips from the film, immediately immersing visitors. In the entryway sits a deep purple door with a black wreath on it, behind which lies the melancholic and imaginative creation of Tim Burton. 

The moment visitors enter the room, they will be instantly captivated by the decor. Several colorful lights hang from above, bright animations are projected on the walls and a few decorated Christmas trees sit in corners of the room. However, what is even more fascinating is the art. Various art pieces, both in the form of small sculptures and paintings, line the perimeter of the room. At the front of the room sits the Pumpkin King, Jack Skellington, in the form of the original clay maquette used in the film. Around the room are other iconic characters from the movie — Oogie Boogie, Lock, Shock and Barrel — just to name a few. There are also displays of the sets that were used in the film, such as Jack’s laboratory, where, in the film, he attempts to figure out the formula for a perfect Christmas. 

The citizens of Halloween Town are not the only inhabitants of this exhibit. Another treat for guests is the “Hall of Peculiar Portraits,” a small walkway in the middle of the room that features The McNay’s own dark, creepy and downright spine-chilling paintings that align with Tim Burton’s eerie creative vision. In two corners of the room, there are also brief facts about the man himself, which detail Burton’s creative roots at Walt Disney and his successful career in filmmaking, listing films like “Beetlejuice” (1988) and “Edward Scissorhands” (1990) as a testament to his imagination and talent. 

The atmosphere of the exhibit is one for families with kids or couples wanting to enjoy a night out. So, for fans of the film or anyone wishing to check out “Dreamland: Tim Burton’s ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’” at The McNay, entry is $10. The exhibit will be available to the public until Jan. 14, 2024. However, due to high demand, the museum now requires guests to make a reservation to visit the “Dreamland” exhibit. To book a timed-entry reservation or learn more about the exhibit, visit The McNay’s website.