Top three guitar stores in San Antonio

Lauro Martinez

With guitar playing growing more and more popular each day, it helps to know what the best local guitar stores in San Antonio are. Whether you are looking for a brand new guitar, pickups, an amplifier or pedals, a local guitar store is essential to the experience that the stringed instrument brings. The store provides a personal relationship that aids and assists in finding the perfect gear to create the perfect sound. If you are a beginner looking to get into the world of guitar playing or an advanced player looking to upgrade your equipment, these are the top three local guitar stores in San Antonio. 

1. Spacetone Music

The selection of guitars and gear at Spacetone Music is truly one of the best in San Antonio. Offering a variety of used, affordable gear, the shop has nearly everything a guitarist could ask for. Being mostly a used guitar store, Spacetone often receives new equipment on a weekly basis. While they do not specialize in one particular guitar brand, Spacetone has a plethora of used Fender and Gibson products. The store also carries popular guitars from Dean, Charvel, Ibanez, the EVH collection and more. Some of the many hidden gems at Spacetone include a Dean Dave Mustaine flying-v, an EVH relic, a Charvel San Dimas and custom shop Fender Stratocasters. 

Though their guitar selection is incredible, it is their gear and customer service that make Spacetone Music the number one guitar store in San Antonio. Customers should have no trouble finding the perfect effects pedal, amplifier or guitar pickups with the help of a Spacetone employee. The store even sells various guitar parts, such as necks, pickguards and bodies, for those looking to “Frankenstein” their very own guitar. Employees at the shop are incredibly nice and are willing to let you test out almost any guitar you wish to play. Guitar players looking for great and affordable guitars and gear should have no trouble finding them at Spacetone Music. 

2. Robot Monster Guitars

Robot Monster Guitars is a store that offers so much more than an average guitar shop. Their selection consists mostly of used gear, ranging from Fender Stratocasters to special ESP custom guitars. The shop also carries a wide array of effects pedals, including the Dunlop Wah Cry Baby and a plethora of Boss effects. With extremely well-priced gear, great inventory and a tremendous atmosphere, Robot Monster is one of the best guitar stores in San Antonio. There is always a chance to find a hidden gem, whether it is a rare guitar, amplifier or effects pedal. 

Employees at Robot Monster are also willing to help and answer any questions that customers may have. They are constantly making an effort to help you find the right piece of gear, in addition to giving their own opinion on what sounds best. With reasonable prices, the employees are almost always willing to work out a deal or trade when negotiating equipment.

What makes the store so unique is the additional clothing and music equipment they carry. Unlike other guitar stores, Robot Monster has an entire subsection dedicated to vintage clothes, including rare band and artist tour shirts. They also carry other musical equipment, such as vintage drum machines and samplers, for those looking to produce music through analog means. Those looking for a guitar store with a great atmosphere and a great gear selection should look no further than Robot Monster Guitars. 

3. Lark Guitars 

One of the newer guitar stores in San Antonio, Lark Guitars, offers a selection comprised of mostly brand new and gently used gear. Though the store’s prices can be expensive, they offer brand new, pristine-quality guitars that most local shops do not have. Whether an original EVH edition Frankenstrat or a new custom shop Gibson Les Paul, the shop has something for every player to enjoy. Unlike the other stores on this list, there is little to no chance of finding a hidden gem as they do not feature a wide range of used or traded-in gear. Despite this, Lark still manages to carry a wide range of guitars that most players would deem rare and special. 

The guitar setups at Lark Guitars are some of the best the city offers. While they are willing to set up a brand new guitar, the store can also set up personal guitars that a customer may have. A process that only takes about one day, Lark Guitar’s maintenance and play testing leave customer guitars with an extremely easy-to-play feel and incredible intonation. Players looking for a crisp, brand-new guitar or a setup for their own personal instrument should look into Lark Guitars.

This poll has ended.

Which guitar store is your favorite?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.