‘Runners exhibit diverse reactions to athletics fee loss

Chloe Williams

Two weeks ago, UTSA announced that the “Everyone Wins” proposal failed to pass a vote by students, causing Roadrunners to voice their mixed opinions on the issue. 

On Oct. 25 and 26, ‘Runners had the opportunity to vote on a proposal to increase the mandatory athletics fee. On Oct. 27, the results were announced, revealing that the proposal had been firmly rejected by UTSA students, with 70.66% voting not to raise the fee. 

This result has elicited diverse reactions from students. Some saw this rejection as a win, citing issues that they believe should take priority over an increase in athletic funding. Others see the rejection as a loss for the university and believe that an increase in funding for athletics would bring more national prominence to UTSA. 

Some ‘Runners turned to the r/UTSA subreddit to voice their opinions on a thread concerning the failed proposal. 

One user, u/cigarettesandwhiskey, questioned the fee’s priority over addressing other campus issues, stating, “I’d rather they spent the money on bus service to campus or fixing the wi-fi, which still boots me off every minute or so. I would have voted for a higher fee for those things.” 

Another user, u/Ambitious-Joke4623, debated the necessity of increasing the athletics fee in place of other fundraising methods, stating, “As a current grad student, why does a self-funded auxiliary need more fees from the academics? Raise your ticket price? Hold a fundraiser? Don’t force those who are already being buried in debt to fund a self-funded program. I’m an online only student, I’ve never stepped on campus or attended a game, that doesn’t mean I’m against sports. I’m against nickel and dime on the students.”

However, students in favor of the fee increase have also vocalized their displeasure with the loss on the ballot. 

In an interview with San Antonio Express News, graduate student Bella Crockett expressed her concern about misinformation she believes contributed to the loss, as well as the possible implications the loss could carry for athletics. 

“I think that the students who voted no, a lot of them were misinformed,” she said. “That was the key thing here, to inform our students more [about] the benefits this could have for them. I hope students realize that when they look around the sports facilities that we have and the limited transportation and see why nothing has changed, it’s because they voted no.”

UTSA athletics have stated that this loss on the ballot will not deter them from continuing to grow their programs through other avenues.