Holiday happenings around San Antonio

Bela Ross

With the holidays finally upon us, you might be looking for a way to celebrate the season. From pathways lit by holiday lights to fun winter activities, San Antonio has many events for you to enjoy either on your own or with family and friends.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra began their “Ghosts of Christmas Eve: The Best of TSO” tour in early November, and they will be stopping by San Antonio on Dec. 9 for two performances at the Frost Bank Center. The first performance will be at 3 p.m. and the second at 7:30 p.m. To learn more about the tour, buy tickets and get event reminders, visit their website.

“Holiday Lights on the River Walk”

The River Walk will be decked out in holiday lights from 5:30 p.m. to 8 a.m, Nov. 24 to Jan. 7. Since the River Walk is a public park, there are no fees to walk around and explore the holiday lights, which are located at the downtown portion of the River Walk and the Pearl. For more information, see their webpage.

“Ford Fiesta de las Luminarias”

Alongside Holiday Lights on the River Walk, they will also have a section of the River Walk “guided by more than 2,000 Luminarias at night.” A luminaria is a Christmas lantern made of a little candle placed into a paper bag. The event will be happening on weekends from Dec. 2 to 17. To learn more, visit their webpage.

“Fiesta Texas Holiday in the Park”

Six Flags will begin their annual Holiday in the Park event on Nov. 18 until Dec. 31, bringing shows, attractions and thousands of holiday lights to the park. From Christmas tree lighting to train rides, there is something for everyone to enjoy. To find out more about this event or to plan your visit, see their website.

“Lightscape at the Botanical Gardens”

San Antonio’s Botanical Gardens will be lighting up a one-mile pathway with hundreds of holiday lights, making it the perfect opportunity for a magical evening. The gardens will be lit from Nov. 17 to Jan. 1. According to their website, most visitors finish the trail within 90 minutes and it is entirely self-guided. To learn more about the event or to buy tickets, see their website.

“Nutcracker! Magical Christmas Ballet”

The Majestic Theatre will be holding four performances of its “beloved family tradition,” the Nutcracker! Magical Christmas Ballet. The first performance will be held at 7 p.m. on Dec. 8, while the last three will happen at 12 p.m., 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Dec. 9 at the Majestic Theatre. For more information about the ballet or to buy tickets, visit their website.

The Rotary Ice Rink at Travis Park

If you are looking for winter activities in downtown San Antonio, Travis Park’s outdoor Rotary Ice Rink is the perfect location, regardless of whether you have ice skating experience. Rotary Ice Rink will be open from Nov. 17 to Jan. 15 for all ages. To learn more about Rotary Ice Rink or to buy tickets, visit their website.

The holiday season is a time to celebrate and spend time with family and friends; these events and attractions are the perfect way to do so. With so much going on around San Antonio for the holidays, there is something for everyone to enjoy.