What are the Spurs up to?

The San Antonio Spurs have had a rough start to this season with a handful of injuries and social media backlash. Despite their seven straight losses, fans should not be worried about this season for the Silver and Black. 

The Spurs have been alternating between regular games and the NBA In-Season Tournament. On Friday, Nov. 17, the San Antonio Spurs (3-9) went up against the Sacramento Kings (7-4), losing to the Kings 129-120. Although this game resulted in a loss, there was much progress shown in performance from the Spurs compared to the previous couple of games. 

Veteran Zach Collins led the team with 28 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Rookie Victor Wembanyama also had a stunning performance with 27 points and nine rebounds.

Guard Jeremy Sochan has been going through some struggles as he transitions from a power forward position to that of a point guard. Despite the challenge, Sochan has shown his team that he is prepared to take on the role. In a press conference, forward Keldon Johnson talks about Sochan being their point guard.

“Jeremy is more than capable of being our point guard. He is our point guard for the foreseeable future. He’s getting better each and every game. To see his growth with all the noise, I’m very proud of him and have his back 110%,” Johnson said.

On Nov. 16, the Spurs recalled Sidy Cissoko and Blake Wesley from the Austin Spurs. In the 2023 NBA Draft, Cissoko was the 44th pick and has played in five preseason games. Wesley, a Notre Dame alum, was the 25th pick in the 2022 NBA Draft and has played in three games this season. 

On Friday, Nov. 24, Spurs fans have been invited to the first-ever watch party and grand opening of The Rock at La Cantera. Not only a practice facility, The Rock also has shops, restaurants and a 22-acre park. The festivities will begin at 3 p.m. with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Admission to the fan fest and watch party is free but will be on a first come first served basis. The Silver and Black will go up against the Golden State Warriors at 9 p.m. at the Chase Center. 

With the Spurs being the youngest team in the league, fans need to understand that there will not be success overnight. Regardless of having Wembanyama a generational talent he still has learning and development to experience, as does the rest of the squad.

The Spurs will take on the Los Angeles Clippers at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Frost Bank Center.

View Comments (1)