Former professor sues university over 2021 firing

Kayla McCutcheon

A former UTSA professor is suing the university, alleging that his firing in 2021 violated his First Amendment free speech rights. 

Bruce Smith, a former tenured associate professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, alleges in a federal lawsuit filed Nov. 10 that his termination was based on an opinion piece he wrote for the San Antonio Express-News in 2018. 

According to Express News, UTSA has denied these allegations, claiming the op-ed had nothing to do with Smith’s termination. The university has since filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

In addition to UTSA, the lawsuit lists President Taylor Eighmy, former Dean of the College of Engineering JoAnn Browning — who recommended Smith’s termination — and the University of Texas System.

In the op-ed, Smith suggested that reducing the number of semester credit hours required for a degree to 120 would reduce the cost of college for students and taxpayers. His article detailed a report given to Browning, which stated the 126-hour electrical engineering program could be reduced by six hours and still satisfy UTSA’s requirements.

Smith alleges that the op-ed was brought up at a termination proceeding with Eighmy and that it “appears to be an impermissible factor” in his discharge. 

He is also suing for age and disability discrimination, retaliation and Family and Medical Leave Act violations. He is asking for UTSA to reinstate him to his original position and pay grade, in addition to other damages such as lost compensation and harm to his reputation.

The university claims that Smith’s termination was based on his “persistently poor performance” and that his claims are “entirely barred” by “sovereign and qualified immunity.” They also stated that Browning suggested Smith’s termination more than eight months before the op-ed was published. The case is currently pending in the U.S. District Court in San Antonio.

As reported by Express News, both Smith’s lawyer and UTSA have declined to comment on the situation.

For more detailed information on the lawsuit and the events leading up to Smith’s firing, visit expressnews.com.