In case you missed it: winter break news

Calli Recore

Between new and improved Wi-Fi upgrades, the creation of a department devoted to the betterment of student organizations and new on-campus dining options, UTSA has experienced changes since The Paisano’s last print. Stay informed with our winter break news updates in case you missed them. 

Spring 2024 Wi-Fi upgrades

During the winter break, University Technology Solutions (UTS) made upgrades to the AirRowdy Wi-Fi network. After students experienced a series of connectivity issues throughout the Fall 2023 semester, UTS utilized the winter break to ensure students returned to campus with an improved network experience across all UTSA campuses. 

Students, faculty and staff can now access the unified AirRowdy network, which has replaced the AirRowdy_FacultyStaff and AirRowdy_Student networks. By logging in with their myUTSA ID (abc123) and passphrase, all users will be granted access to the updated network. 

“The primary goal of the work we completed over the break was to ensure students get connected to the Internet faster and to maintain that connection — to repair and enhance the connection process,” said Kendra Ketchum, the vice president for information management and technology at UTSA. 

The upgrades offer an improved network capacity, which authenticates connections and supports a higher number of devices. UTS plans to administer another assessment of the Main Campus’ Wi-Fi service at the end of January. Based on the assessment’s findings, UTSA will prioritize high-traffic areas that need improvement. Additionally, more access points around campus are also planned to be added, as this will allow better Wi-Fi coverage in specific areas. 

Creation of Student Involvement Center 

The offices of Student Activities and Leadership and Volunteer Services have combined resources and are now working together as the Student Involvement Center. According to L.T. Robinson, the Senior Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, this decision came after noticing consistent feedback and requests from student focus groups as part of the UTSA Strategic Plan Refresh to provide more support for student organizations. 

“Both Student Activities and Leadership and Volunteer Services worked closely with student organizations operationally and through leadership training for student organization leaders. Additionally, the departments have been operating together since Fall 2022 to pilot collaborative strategies,” Robinson said over email. 

By formally combining the departments, there is now a streamlined operation, as well as staff positions, focused on enhancing support and aligning services to meet the evolving needs of student organizations. Moving forward, the Student Involvement Center plans to offer a unified approach to involvement that promotes a seamless student experience. 

“This [approach] will include shared resources, coordinated programming and a holistic approach to student engagement that includes leadership development, volunteer opportunities and enhanced campus programming,” said Jessica Dawson, UTSA Associate Dean of Students – Involvement. She also shared that their goal is to help connect students to the UTSA community. 

This semester, the Student Involvement Center’s priorities include an enhanced student leadership academy for aspiring and current leaders, appointing a new senior program manager for student organizations and leadership initiatives and implementing integrated programs to recognize outstanding students at UTSA. 

UTSA Dining introduces new additions 

The start of the spring semester introduced Roadrunners to a variety of changes in on-campus food options. This included the debut of Dragon Bowl Z in the John Peace Library (JPL) Food Court. Dragon Bowl Z offers students Asian fusion meal options, which include different types of rice bowls, noodle bowls and pho, as well as sides including chicken wings, egg rolls and egg drop soup. Vegetarian options and bubble tea are also provided for students. 

This was not the only change to the JPL Food Court, as Sushic, the pre-existing Japanese food option, is now adjacent to its previous spot and has a newly renovated look. Additionally, Smoothie King has been relocated from the JPL to the H-E-B Student Union across the Paseo from the Student Union Food Court.