Alumni, Future Texas Business Legend: Anna Almaraz

Courtesy of Anna Almaraz

Anna Almaraz is a first-generation college student, a Future Texas Business Legend in the Texas Business Hall of Fame, a nonprofit lover and, most recently, one of the invited panelists for UTSA’s 2024 State of University

From a young age, Almaraz has shown an interest in filmmaking and attended high school at the North East School of the Arts. During her time in high school, Almaraz discovered a passion for starting a business of her own. 

“I wanted to be a film director,” she said. “One of our projects was to film a documentary for a small business. I was the director of photography on that project, and they loved it, so they used it for their commercials and advertising. From there, I was like, okay, I can make money from this. So I created my business, Social Sophie Marketing LLC, at fifteen.”

“Since 2016, I have worked in radio, real estate, non-profits, public figures and have generated 675,000 dollars in sales for clients.”

When asked about her experience as a first-generation student, Almaraz said, “It was confusing at first.” She noted that concepts such as college applications, FAFSA and letters of recommendation were all materials she had to figure out over time. 

Almaraz added that UTSA’s first-year experience mentorship program was a key figure in her journey as a first-generation student. 

“One of the things I think is a really strong program [that] helped me at UTSA is the first-year experience mentorship program that was linked through my AIS class. My mentor helped me [get] that extra guidance. And that was a program that UTSA provided that inspired me to become a mentor as well and help other first-gen students.” 

Almaraz was inducted into the Texas Business Hall of Fame as a Future Texas Business Legend and she shared her initial thoughts about how she felt.

“I was doing a work-study at the College of Business Dean’s office. One of the people who worked there, Shelley Dotson, knew all about my business; I would tell her all about it. And one day she came up to me and said, ‘Hey, there’s this amazing opportunity for entrepreneurs. It’s called [the] Texas Business Hall of Fame.’” 

“I had the passion and experience to apply. The application was in four stages and was a rigorous process. Before I knew it, I was interviewing for the Texas Business Hall of Fame. In June 2023, I found out that I was going to be the 2023 Future Texas Business Legend. When I heard my name get called, I remember crying because I thought about all of [the] hard work that went into the process.”

In regard to what Almaraz wants her future to look like, she sees herself as “a catalyst and a nonprofit leader here in San Antonio,” ten years from now. 

“My passion is deeply rooted in helping others and giving back. I do see myself as an executive in nonprofits, but what’s important to me is that I never lose that one connection, those roots where I come from,” she said. 

Almaraz discussed how UTSA has shaped her for the future. “What UTSA means to me is thinking about being an entrepreneur and aspiring nonprofit leader and how many opportunities UTSA has given me to keep pursuing my dreams.”

“The people in the [College of Business Dean’s] office were just so amazing and so supportive, and they were the ones who told me to apply to the Texas Business Hall of Fame. So UTSA, they’ve been just amazing in terms of giving opportunities and being so supportive, especially being a first generation [student]. Being bold is about giving hope to others and inspiring for good,” Almaraz said.

View Comments (1)