SAISD juniors offered admission at UTSA

Kayla McCutcheon

UTSA is partnering with SAISD to accept the top 25% of their graduating class. This will apply to junior-standing students. UTSA stated that more than 700 eligible SAISD juniors were contacted to begin the program. 

Currently, 282 juniors have completed or intend to complete their UTSA application. This legislation also attempts to combat declining college enrollment rates. According to News4sa, “In 2023, only 80% of SAISD graduates filed college applications, compared to 94% of seniors in 2019.” 

In addition to helping students, this program aims to assist middle-class and lower-class families that cannot afford college. 

In 2022, Promise Plus, an extension of the Bold Promise initiative, was introduced. “UTSA is deeply committed to growing the workforce and positively impacting the economic development of San Antonio by preparing students to succeed in future jobs.”  

Regardless of the need for funding, SAISD students who accept their offers to the UTSA Honors College will get $1,500 every semester if they decide to reside on campus, as stated by the university. One of the UTSA Honors College’s newest living-learning communities, Guadalupe Hall, is home to first-year Honors students. This new opportunity will alter the lives of many first-generation students, as they will have several scholarship options to choose from.  

Students who are interested in this program do not need to apply separately. Given that the students live in San Antonio and come from an SAISD school, they automatically have the advantage of qualifying for federal, state and institutional funds.