Idara Udo shines as UTSA snaps North Texas’ seven-game winning streak

Full-team effort propels Roadrunners past Mean Green

On a night commemorating forward Elyssa Coleman leading the UTSA Women’s basketball team all-time in blocked shots, the Roadrunners secured a hard-fought overtime victory against North Texas, winning 75-67 and snapping the Mean Green’s seven-game winning streak.

Idara Udo emerged as a key player for UTSA (11-9, 5-4 AAC), delivering a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Udo’s impact on both ends of the court, especially on the offensive boards where she notched six offensive rebounds, was a major factor in the team’s success.

“I settled down and got my feet under me,” Udo said of her standout performance. “Just being determined to get stops and help my team get the ball back on defense.”

Entering Wednesday’s game, bench contribution was perceived as a potential weakness for the Roadrunners, with concerns about depth and the ability to sustain performance without the starting lineup on the floor. However, these concerns were momentarily put to bed during tonight’s game, particularly in the first half. 

UTSA’s reserves stepped up significantly, contributing 18 of the team’s 35 first-half points. Key contributors from the bench included Alexis Parker with six points, followed by Hailey Atwood with five points and Cheyenne Rowe with four.

“We didn’t have that in the last couple of games,” Roadrunners coach Karen Aston said, acknowledging the team’s recent lack of bench scoring. “Some of it is on the feel. Do you feel the energy coming off the bench? Do you feel like people are ready? I thought that we were tonight.”

These contributions were vital in UTSA’s seven-point halftime lead, offering a cushion that would soon be tested by a challenging start to the fourth quarter. The Roadrunners encountered a significant scoring drought, going almost five minutes halted at 49 points. 

Despite the offensive struggles, UTSA managed to regroup in the critical moments of the fourth quarter. Key baskets from Udo, Coleman and Sidney Love shifted the dynamics back in the home team’s favor. This resilience was particularly important as UNT tied the game at 56 to force overtime.

In the extra period, the ‘Runners found a renewed vigor in their offense. Alongside Udo, Aysia Proctor stepped up in a big way, scoring seven of her 11 total points in overtime. The combination of Udo’s inside presence and Proctor’s scoring allowed UTSA to regain control and pull away from North Texas.

The Roadrunners showcased a remarkable defensive performance, holding North Texas (17-4, 7-2) to just 29% shooting from the field. UTSA also limited the Mean Green’s offensive threats, holding UNT’s leading scorer Desiray Kernal (17) to just three points on 0 of 9 shooting. 

UTSA will next face Tulane at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Convocation Center.