UTSA’s online undergraduate programs surge in rankings

Chloe Williams

The 2024 Best Online Programs list from U.S. News & World Report was released earlier this week, and it shows how much UTSA’s fully online undergraduate degree programs have improved in ranking. Upon analyzing 1,600 bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, U.S. News & World Report produced its 2024 rating. The degree programs saw a significant increase, going from No. 85 in 2023 to No. 57. As a result, UTSA is now placed in the top 20% of the more than 399 evaluated institutions. 

Programs offered by UTSA Online have advanced in the rankings for four years running, as indicated by the new report. Ranking number one in the UT System and among the top 10 universities in Texas for 2024 is UTSA’s online program. 

In addition to graduate certificates in facility management, data science and medical device commercialization as well as a master’s degree in facility management, UTSA offers three fully online undergraduate degree programs in cybersecurity, multidisciplinary studies and communication. 

For the first time, UTSA Online had more than 1,000 enrolled students in Fall 2023. Interim Provost and Executive Vice president of Academic Affairs, Heather Shipley, stated that students seeking an online education are confronted with a plethora of options that may differ significantly in terms of quality and cost. 

With UTSA’s entirely online programs, adult learners have more online capabilities and gifted students can attend a great public research institution and receive an elite education from top-notch instructors. Giving children the information, abilities and experience necessary for a daring future is a recipe for success. Program excellence is a major factor in UTSA’s 2024 ranking.

Four criteria specifically designed to measure online programs were used by the U.S. News & World Report to evaluate each institution’s online offerings. This included Faculty Credentials and Training (20%), Engagement (35%), Services and Technologies (25%) and Peer Assessment (20%). 

“The UTSA Division of Academic Innovation’s data-driven strategy for growing its online programs is purposeful and well-thought-out,” Vice Provost Melissa Vito said. “We design unique degree and certificate programs and offer individualized support to make sure our online learners are engaged and successful.”