UTSA hosts TRiO day

On Feb. 24, UTSA hosted an event for TRiO Day at the H-E-B Student Union. TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a program that provides academic development opportunities, assists students with basic college requirements and motivates students to complete their college education.

John Bonner, the project director at TRiO Student Support Services, delivered a few words about what TRiO means to him and expressed gratitude to the staff who make these events possible. “I would like to take a moment to recognize our wonderful TRiO staff who make this program possible year after year,” Bonner said.

After Bonner’s remarks, UTSA President Taylor Eighmy took the stage. President Eighmy welcomed all middle and high school students to the event, emphasizing the impact such events can have on aspiring college students. 

“It means so much to us as an institution that you have the opportunity to benefit and thrive in this program,” he said.

Continuing his speech, President Eighmy introduced keynote speaker Anna Almaraz, providing a brief overview of her experience as a first-generation student at UTSA.

Almaraz began her speech by recounting a pivotal childhood memory. Throughout her address, she shared her most meaningful memories and reflected on how such moments have shaped her journey to where she is today. She detailed the impact of being a first-generation student by recounting moments that she felt were particularly significant.

A skit performed by VOICES, UTSA’s largest volunteer organization involved in the community, focused on the college experience. The skit portrayed new students assuming they would know their way around campus immediately and highlighted the reality that understanding the campus layout takes time.

Following the skit, the event transitioned into workshops tailored for middle and high school students separately. Then, students and staff met for lunch to network and concluded the event. 

View Comments (2)