Women’s season success leads to NIT appearance

Rylan Renteria
#25, Idara Udo

The 2023-24 season marked a period of adversity and growth for the UTSA women’s basketball team in their inaugural season in the American Athletic Conference. The onset presented a mix of optimism and uncertainty, with the Roadrunners navigating the early stages of rebuilding under the leadership of head coach Karen Aston. Expectations were measured, yet hopeful, as the squad aimed to carve out a competitive role in their new conference.

The season’s outset was shadowed by adversity with the early loss of senior forward Jordyn Jenkins, a critical figure on the team, sidelined due to an offseason injury. By midseason, with the team’s record at a precarious 11-10, Jenkins made a triumphant return against the UAB Blazers, injecting a newfound vigor into the squad.

Jenkins’ impact was nothing short of transformative. Averaging a team-high 15 points and seven rebounds per game, she reestablished herself as a pivotal figure, steering the team through its later stages with a blend of leadership and skill. The narrative of the season, however, wasn’t solely authored by Jenkins.

Freshman standouts Idara Udo and Aysia Proctor emerged as pivotal figures on the team, with Udo being a defensive anchor and delivering multiple double-doubles over the season, while Proctor solidified herself as one of the team’s primary scorers.

Sophomore guards Sidney Love and Siena Guttadauro were key contributors, with Love averaging nearly 10 points per game and Guttadauro coming up big in timely moments, hitting two crucial 3-pointers that pushed the team to victory in their AAC Tournament quarterfinal match.

Junior forward Elyssa Coleman, another central figure, averaged 10.8 points and 7.5 rebounds a game while etching her name in the program’s history books as the all-time leader in blocks during a matchup against North Texas. 

Senior guard Kyra White’s veteran leadership was pivotal. Averaging 10 points, five rebounds and five assists per game, her influence was exemplified in her stellar senior day against the Florida Atlantic Owls where she tied her career-high with 23 points.

The Roadrunners concluded their regular season on a high note, securing six consecutive home victories and finishing with a 17-14 record. The last of which, a hard-fought 60-52 victory against Rice clinched them a double-bye and the fourth seed in the tournament.

In the postseason games, led by Jenkins and Guttadauro, the ‘Runners secured a hard-fought 58-56 victory against South Florida in the quarterfinals. The run was cut short when UTSA faced a devastating 55-54 loss to East Carolina, despite entering the fourth quarter with a double-digit lead.

Even with the disappointing tournament end, the women’s program culminated in their first postseason appearance since 2009, and made their first-ever appearance in the National Invitation Tournament. The achievement signifies a landmark moment for the program, reflecting the season’s progress and the solid foundation Aston has established. 

Under her leadership, the program has significantly improved over just three seasons, with her influence helping the team to exceed expectations and set a new standard, thereby redefining UTSA women’s basketball and promising a bright future.