How successful will the Texas Rangers be in 2024?

The Texas Rangers were able to make history and win their first-ever World Series Championship against the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2023 season. But the question remains: will they be able to do it again?

As we all know, the MLB season is a long one and anything could happen. The Rangers repeating as World Series Champions could very well happen. This offseason wasn’t a big one for the Rangers, but they did sign some backup position players and pitchers for their bullpen which was below-average last season. 

The Rangers could also add top prospect Wyatt Langford to their main roster this season if they feel like he is really for the big leagues. Langford has been lights out in Spring Training so far so adding him would definitely help their already stacked offense. 

Pitching is where you have to ask a lot of questions if you are a Rangers fan. Their pitching last year was solid, but they let one of their best pitchers, Jordan Montgomery, walk in free agency and have replaced him with Kirby Yates and David Robertson. They are both solid pitchers, but Yates is 36 years old and Robertson is 38 years old which could become a health problem if the Rangers decide to give these pitchers a lot of innings. 

This is a problem with their top pitchers as well. Max Scherzer (39), Nathan Eovaldi (34) and Jacob DeGrom (35) all have a bad history with injuries. Unless one of the younger pitchers can step up and prove to be a consistent starting pitcher, they might be in trouble there. The Rangers’ bullpen is also a concern, but not as big of a concern as the starting pitching since they were able to be good during the playoffs last season. 

The infield and outfield defense could be one of the best in the league next season. They have the talent with guys like Corey Seager, Marcus Semien, Josh Jung and Adolis García who were all excellent down the stretch of the 2023 season. The Rangers were a sound defensive team and fans should expect the same this season.

Offensively, the Rangers should be just fine. Last season they were one of the best offenses in the league. They have some of the best hitters in the league and have good depth as well. Players like Evan Carter and Langford could also add to this great offense by having breakout seasons this year. 

The Texas Rangers have a real chance to repeat as World Series Champions. Despite their older starting pitcher rotation and their shaky bullpen, their defense and offense are so good that they should be able to carry them to another top seed in the American League. If this team can be healthy for the majority of the season, we could see the Texas Rangers make another deep playoff run into the World Series.