A love that drives you crazy

A review of ‘Love Lies Bleeding’
Mariana Ramos

A24’s newest film, “Love Lies Bleeding,” was announced in December last year and quickly took the internet by storm. In the film, Kristen Stewart co-stars with Katy O’Brian in an LGBTQ+ romance-thriller. 

Stewart portrays Lou, a small-town girl stuck working at a gym, hoping to escape her life’s mediocrity. Soon, the musclehead Jackie, portrayed by O’Brian, enters Lou’s life, and everything goes head over heels. Lou and Jackie quickly become infatuated with one another, with each shot showing Jackie getting physically stronger as their relationship strengthens. Eventually, an extreme act of violence changes everything for the pair, pushing them into disarray.

From scene to scene, the film is exciting and fresh. It is hard to guess what happens next, and when things go wrong, the violence is fantastic. The gore in each scene can be hard to watch, but it is top-notch and expertly done. However, some of the story writing could be improved, and at times, the director breaks away from the shots’ surrealness too soon. 

A24 has become the master at making great films based on niche ideas, and this is no exception. The idea is niche, but the story-building and execution let it truly excel, especially alongside the perfect casting. Stewart and O’Brian have amazing chemistry together and sold the flick. Even in marketing ads on Instagram and TikTok, you can feel the tension and feelings the characters have for one another. The comparison between Lou’s romantic expression in “Love Lies Bleeding” and Bella’s in the “Twilight” saga is somewhat shocking. Bella always felt flat and insincere, while Lou’s emotional range is full of energy and endearment. 

At times, the film does take you out of the immersion with interesting writing choices or chaotic scenes that take away from the film’s authenticity. For the most part, “Love Lies Bleeding” is a great watch, with some small caveats.