Finding Heaven with Conan Gray

Conan Gray ‘Found Heaven’ album review

After waiting for two years, alternative pop star Conan Gray, known for his top hits “Maniac” and “Heather,” has recently released his third anticipated studio album, “Found Heaven.” Gray ventures into a new musical genre, showcasing his artistic evolution within the 13 tracks that run 37 minutes, including beautiful vocals, buoyant beats and soul-crushing lyrics. Each track depicts a different yet consistent sound as the album has numerous synth-pop tracks, along with a few emotional cuts, all tied together with a retro ‘80s aesthetic. His fans, titled Coneheads, and music lovers alike can now embark on the emotional rollercoaster that is “Found Heaven.”

The album starts strong with the title track, “Found Heaven.” The song opens with a strong yet beautifully melodic choir-like sound that eventually changes to a punkish ‘80s rock feel with electrifying guitar shims and drums in the background. This track encapsulates a transformative story of self-acceptance of one’s identity and the altering nature of love, depicted through the lines “Don’t be scared, little child of that feeling. You’re in love. You found heaven.” 

Next up is “Never Ending Song.” This track was released as one of the first singles from the album, and rightfully so. It has a catchy tune, fun beats and a relaxed rhythmic feel that people can dance to. However, as listeners divulge in the lyrics, one can see the underlying message portrayed through the lines — a painful, tumultuous relationship that never seems to end and goes “on and on and on.” This song encapsulates the whole album, presenting a pop-rock tune with lyrics portraying relationship hardships. 

Another fan favorite has been track number eight, “Bourgeoisieses,” a fun techno song with a bright, catchy hook and lively beat. The song depicts a very engaging story of wanting to ascend the social ladder to experience the lifestyle of the wealthy elite. The song’s main chorus follows the lines “I want to be with the bourgeoisieses. I want to see how the bourgeoisieses party all night,” bringing such a catchy lyric that fans and music lovers alike will most likely get stuck in their heads. 

Although the album does have a handful of fun and upbeat songs, Gray also has a wide variety within his tracks, “Alley Rose” being one of them. This track is one of the more soul-crushing and emotional songs within the album and depicts the exploration and anguish that comes with being discarded by a lover. “Alley Rose” starts with a strong yet slow beat that slowly builds up with rhythmic drums and a smooth electric guitar in the chorus. When writing “Found Heaven,” Gray stated that while creating the album, he faced his first heartbreak which heavily influenced his music. This is seen in the heartbreaking and emotional lines in “Alley Rose” — “Don’t leave me hanging alone again. Oh, where’d you go go, Alley Rose, Oh, where’d you go go go?” Although the nice rhythmic beats and soft vocals can trick the listeners into thinking that this is a melodic, soft rock kind of song, it is one that Coneheads can cry their hearts out to.

“Found Heaven” is more than just an album; it portrays the experience of love, identity and vulnerability. So whether you are facing heartbreak, need to dance along to a catchy tune or want to indulge in beautiful lyrics and vocals, “Found Heaven” has the tracks for you. Make sure to listen to Gray’s new album on your music streaming platform and prepare for the emotional rollercoaster.