A hot lead and a hot mess

Chloe Williams

After the anticipated release of “Road House,” a remake of a beloved 1989 film, fans were excited to see what direction the movie took. With Jake Gyllenhaal as the main lead, there was hope that this could be a good remake amid many bad ones. Unfortunately, that was not the case. 

Unlike the original, the movie takes place in Florida, giving the film an exciting summer energy. As the story unfolds, the plot of it remains familiar with a few new details. To summarize, a former UFC fighter has been battling demons for too long now. His presence makes people cower and his name has the same effect, but he is not doing anything with himself. After being approached by a bar owner, he decides to relocate and become a bouncer for her. Sounds easy, right? 

Gyllenhaal is the only thing worth watching this movie for. He gave the character a fun, sassy flair by utilizing consistent dry humor. Physically, it is clear he prepared for the role as his body looked like an actual UFC fighter. With muscles, veins and a fake tan, he felt very true to the character he was embodying. 

Unfortunately, the rest of the cast fell flat. While it is nice to see a movie filled with lesser-known actors, the talent of this movie was not on par with Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal’s talent stomped on everybody he shared the screen with, making the other actors pale in comparison. 

On a good note, the cinematography was killer. The camera movement was creative and well-thought-out; it was a nice change of pace from regular camera movements. Rather than opting for basic shots, the cinematographer uplifted scenes but was careful not to take away from the story. 

Much like the original, the new “Road House” was okay. The hot male lead made the movie exciting, but the rest of the production needed work. Do not let this review stop you from watching it. You do not want to miss out on the visual greatness that is Gyllenhaal, but keep your expectations low.