Notable San Antonio Missions players who play for the MLB

Marylin Terrazas

The San Antonio Missions have been home to producing some of the best talents in baseball since its birth. With the MLB season underway, here are some of the famous baseball players the Missions have helped develop over the decades. 

1. Corbin Burnes, pitcher

Burnes spent most of his 2019 season on the Missions before becoming a full-time starter with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2020. A year after becoming an official starter, he went on to win the National League Cy Young Award in 2021 with an ERA of 2.43. He notched a win-loss record of 11-5, was named All-MLB First Team and earned an All-Star selection. After spending four seasons with the Brewers, Burnes was eventually traded to the Baltimore Orioles on Feb 1. With a career win-loss record of 45-27, he looks to win more games for his new team this season.

1. Fernando Tatis Jr., outfielder

Prior to making his debut in March of 2019, Tatis Jr. played three seasons in the minor leagues, playing two of them with the Missions. During his time in San Antonio, he was named an All-Star in 2017 and 2018. He was also named Player of the Month in May 2018. Since entering the big leagues in 2019, Tatis Jr. has won the Silver Slugger Award in 2020 and 2021. He was named a National League All-Star in 2021 and won the Gold and Platinum Glove this past season. 

1. Pedro Martínez, pitcher

Hall of Fame pitcher Martínez spent his summer in 1991 pitching for the Missions before making his debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers one year later. He played one game then went back to the minor leagues, but went back to the MLB in 1993 and the rest is history. Martínez became a three-time Cy Young Award winner, an eight-time All-Star and won a World Series for the Red Sox in 2004. He was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2015, and had his jersey retired by the Red Sox in 2015 as well. 

1. Trea Turner, infielder

The shortstop played for the Missions for just a couple of months before being traded to the Washington Nationals and eventually being called up in August of 2015. During his time with the Missions, Turner was named an All-Star. Since being called up, Turner has won the Lou Brock Base Stealing Championship with the Nationals and Dodgers and helped the Nationals win a World Series. He was named a two-time All-Star with the Dodgers and Nationals, he was named Silver Slugger for the Dodgers and played in the World Baseball Classic last March where Team USA met Team Japan in the final. Turner currently plays for the Philadelphia Phillies.

1. Devin Williams, pitcher

Williams spent a little more than a month with the Missions in 2019 before being called up to pitch for the Milwaukee Brewers in 2020. He won the National League Rookie of the Year in 2020. Since then, Williams has been one of the toughest pitchers to hit against in the pros. His changeup, which he calls “The Airbender,” is one of the nastiest pitches in baseball, and is one of the reasons why he has gained two All-Star selections. His pitching also helped win close games for Team USA during the World Baseball Classic. After an outstanding run during the WBC, he was named All-MLB Second Team.