UTSA guard duo to enter transfer portal

Rylan Renteria
#1 Jordan Ivy-Curry

Following a first-round exit in the American Athletic Conference tournament, leading scorers Christian Tucker and Jordan Ivy-Curry announced on social media that they would enter the transfer portal.

An 11-13 record in 2023-24 was the third consecutive season the team finished with a sub .350 win percentage. Despite the disappointing season, Ivy-Curry and Tucker both knotted career years. Ivy-Curry led the team in points with 17.1, while Tucker led in assists with 169. 

Ivy-Curry began his career with the Roadrunners in 2020 before transferring to the University of the Pacific in 2022. His return to UTSA was delayed due to NCAA rules that rendered him ineligible for play. Tucker walked on at UTSA in 2021. In his first two seasons, he averaged just under five points and 1.3 assists per game. In an expanded role in 2023, his numbers improved dramatically, averaging 11.3 points and 5.4 assists per game. 

Since their announcements, there has been speculation about where they would play next. Ivy-Curry told sources on X that he had received interest from Xavier, Kentucky and Auburn. Tucker has yet to publicly announce which teams are interested in him, but it is likely his pass-first skillset will attract suitors. 

Now, with two large holes on the roster, what is next for the Roadrunners? 

New head coach Austin Claunch will likely be working the portal heavy this offseason. Coming from a higher tier program like Alabama and still having deep Texas recruiting ties will only aid Claunch in his rebuilding efforts. UTSA also has freshman guard Nazar Mahmoud on the roster, the only recruit from Steve Henson’s final offseason as coach. 

A new era calls for program-altering players, a winning culture and a reinvigorated fanbase. A tall task for the new regime, yet one they look to take head-on.