Album of the week: Alice in Chains’‘Jar of Flies’

Mariana Ramos

At 30 years old, “Jar of Flies” serves as a testament to the greatness of the grunge-band legend, Alice in Chains. Its melodic riffs combine with the band’s eerie themes to produce one of the greatest albums of all time. Despite taking a unique approach to the project, the group continues to deliver a sound that is both memorable and enjoyable. Heavily borrowing from blues and hard-rock influences, “Jar of Flies” offers a gritty and twangy sound. The exceptional guitar playing of Jerry Cantrell serves as the perfect match for the loud vocals of the late lead vocalist Layne Stayley. The group’s mix of powerful lyrics, along with beautiful instrumentation, makes “Jar of Flies” a legendary album. 

Incorporating darker themes for the majority of the album, the lyrics speak powerfully about addictions and supporting friends through their battles. Such is the case with the leading single of the album “No Excuses,” in which Cantrell and Stanley combine to sing, “You, my friend, I will defend, and if we change well I’ll love you anyway.” Songs like “Nutshell” and “I Stay Away” also deal with the struggles of dependency, making them extremely relatable for anyone who has dealt with or had a loved one deal with addiction. 

Though the lyrics are incredibly deep and moving, it is the project’s instrumentation that makes it so enjoyable three decades later. A departure from the band’s previous work, “Jar of Flies” consists of mostly acoustic guitar work accompanied by soft drums and thumping basslines. Recorded and produced in just one week, the album encompasses a classic blues feel reminiscent of early country-filled rock. Adding their twist, the band still manages to drop hints of grunge themes throughout the project, whether with hard guitar stabs or gritty bridge sections. With hard-strumming riffs and melodic basslines, each song off the album offers a new sound for listeners to love. Despite the acoustic blues-influenced riffs and chords, almost all guitar solos are recorded with Cantrell’s piercing electric tone. His iconic fills and doubled guitar work continue to drive the album, making it a timeless classic. 

“Jar of Flies” is one of the few albums that can be listened to from beginning to end with absolutely zero skips. Its unique sound offers a journey that is both memorable and enjoyable for every listener. A staple of the grunge genre, Alice in Chains’ “Jar of Flies” is an essential album for any music listener.