Institute of Texan Cultures to be torn down and relocated

Miles Jones

After 64 years of service, UTSA announced its plans to tear down the Texas Pavillion and relocate the Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC) in 2025. Following a decision made by the university on Wednesday, the historic museum will be moved to the first floor of the Frost Tower, where it will remain located for the next five years. Associate Vice Provost for the ITC Monica Perales spoke about the decision amidst UTSA’s announcement. 

Our goal is to provide an updated experience to reconnect with the community and connect with new visitors,” said Perales in an interview. “Our temporary location will help us do this, providing a compelling destination for visitors while increasing our visibility as we continue to progress on our long-term plans.”

Just 10 minutes from its current Hemisfair location, the Frost Tower will serve as a temporary home for the ITC while UTSA searches for a permanent residence. Though different sites have been mentioned in the search, two have emerged as potential candidates for the ITC. In an interview with Texas Public Radio, Perales confirmed the two possible locations as permanent residential options for the historic museum. 

“There are currently two potential sites where the ITC might find its permanent home,” Perales said. “One is the Crockett site, located near the Alamo, the other location is near our Southwest Campus.” 

Stemming from an ongoing downtown revitalization plan, the move has been backed by multiple university board members, including President Taylor Eighmy. In an article from the San Antonio Report, Eighmy offered his thoughts on the move and voiced his confidence in the relocation. 

We must proceed on a thoughtful path forward to maximize current opportunities that will allow us to properly preserve the museum’s current exhibits, while building a new museum that will serve and educate visitors for decades to come,” Eigmy said. 

With its removal from the Hemisfair area, the Texas Pavillion will officially retire after 64 years of service. Though the San Antonio building was named eligible for the National Register of Historic Places earlier this year, UTSA declined the nomination. Despite its demolition, the Texas Pavillion will continue to live on, as the university plans to honor the original architect, Willaim Peña. Though there have been no official statements on how the school plans to honor the architect, it has been confirmed that Peña will be recognized at the building’s original and new locations.