Roadrunner Creek retail project nears completion

Miles Jones

Among the several construction projects near UTSA is the Santikos Enterprises retail project, Roadrunner Creek. In August, project members broke ground on the 21,000-square-foot off-campus development, confirming the property would include about 15 spaces for restaurants and other retail shops. 

According to Santikos Vice President of Real Estate Joe McChesney, this $8 million  retail project located at 6010 UTSA Blvd., “is unique because it will be built as an amenity connected to the nearby Leon Creek Trail.” Santikos worked closely with San Antonio Parks and Recreation to approve the shopping center. 

“We appreciate the fact that from any developer who’s willing to work with us on expanding the recreational opportunities that we have in San Antonio,” Special Project Manager with Parks and Recreation Brandon Ross said.

The first of the businesses to solidify a space at Roadrunner Creek was Smokey Mo’s BBQ, as Santikos Enterprises confirmed this on Aug. 4 at the groundbreaking ceremony for the project. Since August, Roadrunner Creek has made progress in its construction. 

Senior Associate at CBRE Andrew Polunksy illuminated the retail project’s current status by stating: “We are in discussions with numerous prospective tenants however, right now, we are only able to announce the signed deals.” In addition to Smokey Mo’s BBQ, Roadrunners can expect to see Chicken Salad Chick, Insomnia Cookies and Veneto Nails at Roadrunner Creek. 

“We will definitely be adding one more sit-down restaurant user along with an additional dessert and beverage operator. The remaining few spaces will likely be leased to service/general retail,” Polunsky added. 

“We have a couple deals that should move into the lease review phase in the coming weeks. The project is substantially complete, tenants are going to begin to finish out construction in the coming day,” Polunsky said.