San Antonio to become pioneer in solar power initiative

In November 2023, the city of San Antonio initiated a $30 million grant to launch a solar power project that will become the largest municipal installation of solar energy in Texas. The project is set to start this spring and place solar panels in over 42 city facility rooftops, parking lots and parks, offsetting energy consumption by 13%

San Antonio received this grant as a result of the Inflation Reduction Act, which was signed in 2022 by President Joe Biden and championed by San Antonio native Congressman Joaquin Castro. The Inflation Reduction Act “is a landmark United States federal law which aims to curb inflation by possibly reducing the federal government budget deficit, lowering prescription drug prices, and investing into domestic energy production while promoting clean energy.”

According to Castro, “The selected developer, Big Sun Solar, will collaborate with the St. Phillips College Solar Apprenticeship Program (part of the Alamo Area District of Community Colleges) to train students in solar energy and create a pipeline for emerging solar industry professionals to develop the skills to succeed in the job market.”

Big Sun Solar is honored to have been selected for this important project, which will help our city reach its goal of achieving carbon neutrality,” Jason Pittman, president of Big Sun Solar, said. “In addition to rooftop installations, we’ll be creating solar shade canopies at parks and community centers in areas such as basketball and pickleball courts and skate parks.”

With the aim for San Antonio to become a pioneer in sustainable projects, this initiative hopes to result in energy and cost savings, shade and weather protection, the creation of local jobs, the promotion of educational opportunities and the combating of climate change.

View Comments (1)