Shooting on UTSA Blvd

Avalon copy

Two men were shot and wounded as their car pulled out of the Avalon Place apartment complex on UTSA Boulevard in the early hours of Sunday, April 26. According to UTSAPD, one victim was shot in the abdomen, the other in the arm.

Students were alerted through the UTSA Alert system, urging them to “stay away from this area.”

The incident took place less than six months after two female UTSA students were the victims of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and burglary at Avalon in the fall of last year.

[major/classification] Roberto Guerra was surprised to hear about the shooting. “I had no idea it was this bad so close to campus,” he said.

Representatives at Avalon Place declined to comment, but the apartment complex has been adamant in reiterating that the incident did not occur on their property. Messages to Peak Campus, Avalon’s managing company, were not returned.

“I haven’t seen any change in security since Sunday,” said junior public health major and Avalon resident Brittany Kirkham.

“I’ve seen a security guard walk around the halls and in between buildings,” said Guerra, who has lived at Avalon since last July. “I’d like to say I see him on the weekends more … I definitely noticed him after the kidnapping incident.”

“Violent crimes that happen near UTSA are rare in comparison to other parts of the city,” according to the university. “Crimes that happen on UTSA campuses are even more infrequent.”

“I have felt unsafe since the two incidents that have occurred,” said Kirkham. “This is my first year living at Avalon and I’m not re-leasing.”

Guerra said he felt safe living at Avalon “until I heard about the kidnappings.” Now he says he “can’t wait ‘til the fall to be out of there.”

No arrests have been made in the case. However, anyone with information is asked to contact UTSAPD at 210-458-4911.