Take advantage of these 10 UTSA resources

Chloe Williams, Web and Social Editor

UTSA’s tuition includes a variety of fees specified for different university programs — half of which many students do not use. This week we will highlight 10 resources included in our tuition that students might not know much about and should be taking advantage of. All tuition fees are taken from the summary of student fees for the fiscal year 2022 to 2023, found on UTSA’s website

1. Counseling 

Each semester, $34.25 from each student’s tuition fees is allocated to medical services. The Wellness 360 counseling center offers a variety of counseling options, including individual, group, recovery and psychiatry. The easiest to access is the My Student Support Program (My SSP). My SSP is an app that connects students with mental health support through the app, telephone or website. Visit the Wellbeing Services website to make an appointment or learn more about counseling services. 

2. Wellness 360

Also allocated with the $34.25 semesterly medical services fee are medical services provided by UT Health San Antonio Wellness 360. Located in the back of the Recreation Wellness Center, Wellness 360 provides a variety of care, including primary services, prescriptions, bloodwork, comprehensive women’s health, STI testing and STI treatment. For more information, visit their website or log in to your student MyHealth portal. 

3. Borrow tech gear

For each semester credit hour you register for, a $17 fee is added and distributed to library services. Included in library services is the option to borrow tech gear. Gear categories include calculators, iClickers, laptops and accessories, chargers, tools, assistive devices, cables, presentation equipment and media players and accessories. These items can be checked out for a starting time of four hours, and some items can be checked out for the semester. To checkout, visit the tech gear webpage or inside the JPL. 

4. Outdoor Pursuits

Every semester, a $120 fee is added for the Recreation Center. Aside from visiting the rec and taking many of their class options, another way to get the most out of your money is through their Outdoor Pursuits program. This program allows free equipment rentals for a variety of outdoor items, including kayaks, mountain bikes, camping stoves, tents, sleeping bags and more. These items can be checked out for free for a maximum of seven days. Another option is to join one of their organized trips, some local day hikes are available to go for free, but other hikes and camping trips range from $6 to $105. This past spring break, they organized a camping trip to Big Bend Ranch for $240. A full list of their resources and trip dates can be found on the Outdoor Pursuits website or visit them inside the Rec at the Outdoor Resource Center. 

5. The MARCOM Studio

The MARCOM Studio is not funded through student fees but rather directly through the offices of communication and marketing. This studio serves as a one-stop resource for all things relating to communications, marketing and the web. The launchpad provides guidelines for using UTSA logos, recording on campus and poster placement, and helpful tips on social media and website management. 

6. VIA U-pass

UTSA and VIA Metropolitan Transit collaborate to provide a VIA U-Pass to all current UTSA students which is not funded by tuition fees. This pass includes free, unlimited bus service and on-demand rides through VIA Link. To access the pass, download the VIA goMobile+ ticketing app and register with your UTSA email address.

7. Beakcycle

Beakcycle is a bike share program implemented by The Office of Sustainability. This program allows for the easy rental of bikes around campus. To use the bikes, download the “On Bike Share” app, sign up with your UTSA email, ride and return to any of the Beakcycle bike racks on campus. Information on locations and more can be found on the Beakcycle webpage

8. IRIS Booth

UTSA recently implemented the IRIS Booth, a free, self-service area to take professional headshots. This booth is not run with any student fees. The headshots taken are emailed immediately to your email, and the whole process takes around four minutes. A professional headshot is necessary for post-graduation job hunting and for usage on social media sites like LinkedIn. The booth is located on the second floor of the Student Union (SU) in front of the Career Center and operates under the same hours. 

9. Gallery 23

Located inside the SU on the first floor is Gallery 23. This gallery is run with the $10 per semester credit hour SU fee. Gallery 23 showcases local artists with a connection to UTSA and is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Whether you are looking for an escape from the workload or want to appreciate amazing art done by locals and students, Gallery 23 is a great place to visit. More information, including current and past exhibitions, is available on their website

10. Adobe at UTSA

Included in the $25 per credit hour digital learning fee, UTSA offers access to Adobe’s full suite. Post-graduation, this plan will cost $54.99 a month. Whether you are familiar with the Adobe Suite or not, use this time to get acquainted, take free courses and work with an Adobe ambassador. More information about UTSA and Adobe’s partnership is available on their website.