State of the City: Week of 9/12

Chloe Williams

Not subscribed to local news, but still want to stay up-to-date on the happenings around town? Look no further. Highlighting notable stories from external San Antonio news sources, State of the City summarizes the most captivating news headlines of the week. This week’s topics range from the first cold front of the season to a youth orchestra concert. 

Cold front will ease the triple-digit weather

San Antonio’s record-breaking summer heat is finally being eased by the first cold front of the season. The triple-digit temperatures will carry out until the weekend before they finally begin to decline to the low 90s on Tuesday and Wednesday. San Antonio will see the greatest impact of the front on Thursday and Friday, as the temperatures are expected to drop to the high 80s. 

Parents of 5 found after being kidnapped

A San Antonio couple that was kidnapped from their home has been reunited with their five children. Two arrests have been made, but there is a third suspect that has not been found. The intruders, Felipe Valdez and Xhavier Martinez, are both facing aggravated kidnapping charges. 

Youth Orchestras of San Antonio to perform with international students 

There will be high school students from 12 different countries visiting San Antonio tomorrow to perform in a collaborative concert with students from the Youth Orchestras of San Antonio. The purpose of the concert is to show that things like music and art can bring people together despite linguistic and cultural barriers. The concert is free and will be conducted at 7 p.m. on Sept. 13 at St. Philip’s College. 

Bexar County sees decline in COVID-19 cases 

As of last week, the total reported cases of COVID-19 in Bexar County have dropped. This marks the first decline since the week of July 3, as there have been 26 fewer cases recorded. The decline offers a sense of relief for San Antonio, as the city suffered a summer surge of COVID-19 that resulted in cases skyrocketing by 710% between June 27 and Aug. 28. 

Death of unhoused man due to heat ignites protests 

The death of 56-year-old Albert Garcia has gathered the attention of protestors seeking to advocate for the unhoused community in San Antonio. Garcia lived under a West Side highway ramp and died due to heat exposure. His death has sparked a fire in advocates as they gathered outside of San Antonio city offices Friday morning, demanding something be done to protect the city’s unhoused population from the summer heat.