Ranking the five most important Cowboys games this season

Coming off a polarizing 2022 season, which saw them post an impressive regular season record of 12-5 for the second year in a row, the Dallas Cowboys face a tough slate of opponents this upcoming season. Having the third most difficult schedule according to their opponent’s win percentage based on 2022 results, along with facing six of last season’s playoff teams on the road, America’s team will certainly have their work cut out for them.  Last season, the Cowboys went into the playoffs with high expectations and failed to make it past the Divisional round, extending the streak to 27 years since making it that far in the postseason. However, with some decent moves in the NFL draft, bringing back many key players and  trading for cornerback Stephon Gilmore and receiver Brandin Cooks, the Cowboys, at least on paper, seem ready to tackle a gauntlet of marquee and primetime matchups.

#5 – @ Los Angeles Chargers (Week 6)

After four years of overseeing the Dallas Cowboys’ offense, offensive coordinator Kellen Moore was let go this past season shortly after a poor showing by the offense against the San Francisco 49ers in the 2022 Divisional Round. Moore was not out of a job for long though, as the Los Angeles Chargers quickly hired him and pounced on the opportunity to fill the void they had at their own coordinator position. This matchup in week six pairs the Cowboys against a familiar face leading what should be a new and improved Chargers team. With superstar quarterback Justin Herbert at the helm, scrimmage touchdowns leader Austin Ekeler at running back, a fierce wide receiver trio of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Quentin Johnston, and playmakers all over the defense including Derwin James, Joey Bosa, Asante Samuel Jr and Khalil Mack, the Cowboys will have their hands full in this match up. And with their bye week occurring after this game, a primetime matchup against a high-octane offense and star-studded defense should give Dallas a good idea of where they stand.

#4 – Vs. New York Jets (Week 2)

In just the second week of the season, the Cowboys not only face a stacked New York Jets roster, they also face an old foe as newly acquired Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers returns to AT&T Stadium after stunning the Boys last season with a comeback win at Lambeau field. On paper, there isn’t much not to like about this Jets team. A monstrous defense that ranked near the top of the league in every statistical category last season, an offense with the reigning rookie of the year Garrett Wilson, electrifying running back Breece Hall, four-time MVP and former Super Bowl Champion Aaron Rodgers and several key additions in free agency. With the history Rodgers has against the Dallas Cowboys, one that includes ending arguably their two best seasons of the 21st century in the playoffs, and his former Packers head coach Mike Mccarthy now coaching the Cowboys, a lot is riding on this match-up. With the talent being in favor of the Jets, and the experience being in favor of the Cowboys, this will be an exciting early season game that, despite having little significance in each team’s playoff picture, should have a lot of pride and bragging rights on the line.

#3 – @ Buffalo Bills (Week 15)

Over the past four seasons, the Buffalo Bills have been one of the best regular-season teams in the NFL. Posting a 13-3 record last year and ranking near the top of the league in both offense and defense, the Bills look to continue this success even with the improvements of numerous teams in the AFC. Led by superstars Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs on offense, and Matt Milano, Tre’Davious White, Jordan Poyer and Von Miller on defense, the Bills will be an incredibly tough matchup for the Cowboys. Especially considering the game will take place in Buffalo, where the Bills host one of the best home records in the NFL due to their passionate fanbase, and freezing cold New York weather that will give problems to any player not used to performing in such harsh conditions. Despite all this, the Cowboys’ elite defense matches up well against a Bills offense that relies heavily on their superstar quarterback to make plays. And with every game mattering in what should be a tight NFC race, pulling it out on the road against one of the top teams in the AFC would certainly be a statement victory for the Cowboys.

#2 – @ San Francisco 49ers (Week 5)

Any list of the top Dallas Cowboys games this season would be incomplete without this primetime rivalry matchup in week five. The San Francisco 49ers have proved to be the Cowboys’ kryptonite over the last two seasons, handing them back-to-back playoff losses in 2021 and 2022, both equally as humiliating and disappointing. And the 49ers do not appear to be slowing down anytime soon, as head coach Kyle Shanahan still manufactures one of the most potent and quarterback-friendly offenses in the NFL, along with a rushing attack that has been near the top of the league year in and year out. Then, you pair that up with undoubtedly the best defense in the NFL, led by countless stars such as Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, Arik Armstead, Dre Greenlaw, Talanoa Hufanga and more, you get a scary team that is looking to finally break through and win its first Super Bowl since 1994. However, the signing of Brandin Cooks should alleviate pressure off number one receiver Ceedee Lamb, and barring any injuries to running back Tony Pollard, who could have led a victory against the 49ers last playoffs had he not fallen to injury, the Cowboys have an opportunity to not only exorcise their demons in this matchup, but get a step ahead of one of the top NFC teams in the conference’s race to the playoffs.

#1 – vs Philadelphia Eagles (Week 14)

The Philadelphia Eagles appear to continue being the cream of the crop in the NFC this upcoming season. The defending conference champions made numerous moves this offseason to retain an offense and defense that not only ranked near the top of the league in every statistical category, but dominated almost every opponent they faced in the 2022 season. With MVP runner up Jalen Hurts leading the way at quarterback, newly acquired running back D’Andre Swift, star receiver duo A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith, a monstrous offensive line, and an intimidating defense that led the league in sacks and could potentially pull off the feat again with the addition of highly touted draft prospect Jalen Carter. The Eagles should be the favorites to win the NFC East and go to the Super Bowl again, but it is not a foregone conclusion. The Cowboys have a massive advantage being at home for the second game of the matchup, meaning the playoff implications for winning such a game would be monumental. This should without a doubt be the Dallas Cowboys’ most important game of the 2023 season, as a trip to the NFC Championship, and even a Super Bowl, could be decided by what should be a Sunday Night Football classic.