Campus resources that promote student success and wellbeing

Kayla McCutcheon
UTSA students can schedule an appointment for health or counseling services at the Wellness 360 front desk in the Recreation and Wellness Center (RWC 1.500).

UTSA offers a wide range of resources that help to ensure students are reaching their academic goals in a healthy and beneficial manner. Whether students are interested in tutoring services, need help finding an internship or simply need to talk to someone, UTSA most likely has a resource that can fulfill each student’s needs. 

Whataburger Resource Room and Roadrunner Pantry

If UTSA students ever find themselves unable to prioritize buying food because of financial distress, the Whataburger Resource Room or Roadrunner Pantry is there to help. Created in 2017, the Roadrunner Pantry’s mission is to ensure that students who are experiencing limited food access or insecurity have the ability to receive nutritious food for free.  

According to Launch UTSA, “the Roadrunner Pantry is open to all students in need with a valid UTSA ID. Food and non-food items are limited to 5 items per day.” 

There are locations at both the Main and Downtown Campuses for student convenience. The Whataburger Resource Room operates on the Main Campus at SU 1.04.06 and is open from 12 to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Saturday. The Roadrunner Pantry is located at the Downtown Campus at DB 1.306 and is open Monday through Thursday during the same hours.

University Career Center 

UTSA’s University Career Center has an abundance of services that students can utilize. The Career Center’s services are meant to enhance student’s professional identities. According to their website, their mission is to “assist all Roadrunners in discovering, pursuing and achieving their unique career goals.” The Career Center website includes resume samples and builders, guides to gaining experience as an undergraduate and tips on how to prepare for and attend a job interview. 

Their services are not limited to their website, as students are able to visit their physical location in the Student Union at 2.02.04. If students are in need of a professional headshot for job applications or resumes, the Career Center has a photo booth that is available for use during Student Union hours. They also hold in-person events and workshops that can help students learn to stand out when seeking employment. 

The University Career Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and appointments with their representatives are available in-person and virtually. 

The Writing Center 

The Judith G. Gardner Center for Writing Excellence is a campus resource that provides students with writing tutors who can help to improve their writing processes. The Writing Center offers help with cover letters, personal statements and several other forms of writing projects. 

According to their website, “[their] experienced tutors provide assistance to current undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty/staff members with each step of the writing process: brainstorming, establishing a thesis, achieving coherence and unity, documenting, and revising.” The tutors are meant to not only help edit and proofread a student’s writing but also teach students how to become better at doing this on their own. 

Students have two locations to choose from: one at the Main Campus in the JPL building at 2.01.12 and another at the Downtown Campus in the Frio Street building at FS 4.432. Their services are available in-person during the building hours of operation and online seven days a week through a live chat with a tutor. 

Wellness 360 Healthcare

Wellness 360 is an on-campus healthcare service provided by UTSA’s Wellbeing Services and UT Health San Antonio. Their website states that “Wellness 360 is a nurse-led clinic operated by UT Health San Antonio. [Their] health care team is led by Advanced Practice Registered Nurses who hold the highest-level degrees for nursing practice, master’s and doctoral degrees.” 

Located in the Recreation and Wellness Center on the Main Campus, Wellness 360 has a vast number of services ranging from primary care needs for instances like colds and headaches, LGBTQ+ health care services, access to prescriptions, STI testing and treatment and more. Students can call (210) 458-4142 to schedule an appointment and be directed to the appropriate location depending on the services they need.

Wellness 360 Mental Health and Counseling Services 

UTSA’s Wellbeing Services also includes resources for students seeking help regarding their mental health. “The Wellness 360 counseling center provides short-term individual counseling, group counseling and psychiatry,” their website states

Students wanting to schedule an appointment can call (210) 458-4140 and select option two to schedule an in-person or virtual appointment. If a student is in an urgent or dire situation, walk-in services are available during the Student Union’s business hours. A 24-hour crisis line can also be accessed by calling the same number and selecting option three. 

Additionally, UTSA students can utilize the TimelyCare app to call, chat or schedule an appointment with a mental health professional at any time of the day. Wellbeing Services is located in the Student Union at 1.02.04 and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.