HCAP holds ‘Career Bridge’ for students

Dustin Vickers
Each Career Bridge workshop will take place in the HCAP Student Success Center (MS 2.02.36), located in the breezeway in the Multidisciplinary Studies Building.

The College for Health, Community and Policy (HCAP) will be holding a Career Bridge on select Tuesdays until Nov. to give students an advantage in interviews, resume building, job searching and more. Each workshop will be held in the HCAP Student Success Center (MS 2.02.36), located in the Multidisciplinary Studies breezeway.

After graduation, students are expected to begin searching for a career that they love. To help students prepare for entering the workforce, each event will go over a different topic, such as resume building and how to use the job searching website Handshake. 

See the full description of each event below.

Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 2 to 3 p.m. — Handshake/Job Search: This event will teach students how to use Handshake, a site that helps college students find jobs. Students will be made aware of the resources UTSA has to help them get hired after graduation.

Tuesday, Oct. 10 from 2 to 3 p.m. — Resume/VMock: Here, students will be taught how to perfect their resumes and how to use VMock, a resume and career prep tool.

Tuesday, Oct. 24 from 2 to 3 p.m. — Interview prep: During this workshop, students will learn the necessary steps they need to take in order to prepare for an interview. 

Tuesday, Nov. 7 from 2 to 4 p.m. — Mock interview: Following the interview prep event, the mock interview event will help students get a better understanding of what will be expected of them during an interview. 

“The La Reforma Grant is working to scale what the HCAP Student Success Center has been building in recent years,” Lisa Vigil, Research Program Manager for HCAP, said. “The Ambassadors and Peer Mentors in our program are making a key difference in relaying important resources to [HCAP] as a whole.”

Vigil hopes students will use the Career Bridge to become better equipped for their future careers.

“I believe giving our students all the best resources, tools, experiences and knowledge with how to graduate and find a successful career path is life-changing. The planning they do now, the preparation opportunities now, are how they will find higher paying jobs and have the confidence to reach for more.”

If you are interested in taking part in the Career Bridge, you can find more information by visiting UTSA’s Career Bridge webpage.