5 websites to boost your scholarship funds

Chloe Williams

College tuition is ridiculously expensive. Even with the freeze on tuition recently announced, the 2022-23 cost of attendance for a student living on campus comes out to a substantial $27,752. While financial aid can be helpful for many students, it may not cover all the costs of attending. This is where scholarships come in. Keep reading to explore different websites to get more cash back in your pocket. 

An obvious but important source for scholarships is UTSA’s Scholarship Hub. This website allows you to see recommended scholarships that you fit the criteria for and others with various price ranges. 

Niche is somewhat of a go-to for college information and resources. The scholarship part of the popular website features various scholarships across states and requirements. Niche offers a lot of no-essay, no-requirement scholarships with amounts reaching over $25,000.

Scholarships.com allows for directory by state and listed scholarships have various amounts and due dates. Some are specific to schools while others are more general.

SmartScholar is super user-friendly and provides handy statistics for every scholarship with information on the competition, effort level and requirements. The website also allows filtering by major, ethnicity, sports and character. 

Promoted by the Federal Student Aid Department, this website provides different awards. Their requirements and the due dates are easily organized. You can also filter by state, type, affiliation, gender and education level. 

An important thing to remember when applying for scholarships is that you might not get the first one, or the second. Just keep applying and trying. To maximize your time, you could also find different scholarships with similar prompts and apply to them, that way you can reuse essays or short answer prompts. Winning a scholarship could be monumental for struggling students or those looking for some extra cash.