Slowcore band releases surprise mashup album

‘Remote Echoes’ by Duster
Kara Lee

In 1998, slowcore band Duster released their debut album “Stratosphere.” The project quickly became a cult classic with its deep emotions and somber theme. Though “Stratosphere” and Duster’s subsequent releases cemented them as one of the most influential slowcore bands, nothing lasts forever. After 2000’s “Contemporary Movement,” they decided to go on hiatus, unbeknownst to them that it would take nearly two decades for them to release their next project. 

Over the years, Duster has become a musical staple for their experimental sound and analog mixed songs. After years of waiting, Duster returned in 2019 with the release of their self-titled project. Since then, they have made it known that they are back for good by announcing tour dates, including their first shows in Texas.

On Sept. 29, Duster surprised fans with the release of their fifth album, “Remote Echoes.” The album has a runtime of 27 minutes and 45 seconds, spanning across 14 tracks. 

“Remote Echoes” serves almost as a mashup or compilation album across their different eras. While each track works well together, you can somewhat tell that sonically, they fit into different niches the band was going for at the time of their conception. While the track “Untitled 59” sounds like it is straight from the “Stratosphere” sessions with its overall melancholic sound, “The Weed Supreme” is somewhat reminiscent of their EP “Transmission Flux.” 

“Remote Echoes” does exactly what Duster wants it to do, and that is to be a short, sweet project. While it is fun, the length is one of the only downsides of the LP. Nearly all previous Duster albums have had a runtime of around 40 minutes or more, but this album nearly halves that. By the time you reach the end of the album, you will be left yearning for more. For a band known for having long projects and tracks, it is interesting to have a project that does the opposite. 

While short, “Remote Echoes” is a great project overall. It brings a fun mesh of all of Duster’s previous works and showcases their ability to make exceptional lo-fi music, especially at a time when many are trying to replicate that sound.