Five cheap ways to celebrate fall

Chloe Williams

Fall is arguably one of the most appreciated and anticipated seasons. Few things can compare to the sound of leaves crinkling under your boots and the taste of fall drinks on a windy, cozy day. The beauty and spirit of fall are undeniable, but indulging in fall activities can be costly. With the cost of a Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Chai exceeding $6 and admission to Six Flags Fright Fest coming in at a whopping $80, partaking in fall activities can break the bank. However, you do not have to drain your wallet to enjoy the autumn season. There are plenty of free or cheap ways to appreciate the fall season in all its glory without spending all the money you have set aside for holiday gifts. Follow along as we highlight five inexpensive ways to get into the fall spirit. 

• Bake fall goodies and watch a comforting movie

You do not have to be a baking expert to bake comforting fall cookies or indulge in pre-made pumpkin goodies. Pop some pumpkin spice cookies in the oven or make a batch of pumpkin muffins, sit back and watch your go-to comforting fall movie. Recommendations include Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Hocus Pocus and of course, the endless supply of Disney Halloween movies

• Spend an afternoon antiquing

Antiquing feels like fall, even if you do not buy anything. Looking through the vintage items provides a unique feeling. If you are looking for a day away from San Antonio, check out the historic Gruene town center. The area has several antique shops, and the small town autumn energy emitted by Gruene is a fall staple. If you are looking to stay in San Antonio, a closer option is the Alamo Antique Mall, which houses three stories full of antiques. 

• Attend a market

Aside from the reoccurring markets that are perfect to attend in the fall like the Pearl Farmers Market and First Friday, there are many other fall-themed events taking place. Free events to attend include the Garden Ridge Market Days – Halloween Festival & Market, taking place from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 14 at Northeast Bible Church. This event will feature over 150 local food, craft and farm vendors and other free activities. Another free fall event is the third annual Fall Festival located in downtown San Antonio from 3 to 9 p.m. on Oct. 14 at 501 W Commerce. This event will include live music, games, candy, food, drinks and more. On the weekend of Oct. 28 and 29, celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Hemisfair Muertosfest 2023. This event will have live music, food, dance and art. 

• Explore the spooky side of San Antonio

San Antonio holds the number-five spot in the top 10 most haunted cities in America. Rightfully so, San Antonio is home to many paranormal spots and attractions. If you are feeling adventurous, take yourself on a free self-guided ghost tour downtown and hit all the haunted locations, including the Emily Morgan Hotel — which is on the list of the most haunted hotels in America. Dive into the haunted history of our city and check these places out for yourself — they will definitely be scarier than an expensive haunted house. 

• Spend time outdoors

While this can be an obvious choice for a free activity in San Antonio, with the weather cooling off and the leaves hopefully falling soon, spending time outdoors is a necessary part of appreciating autumn. Whether it is taking a hike, having a fall picnic or just curling up on your balcony reading a fall book — spend time outside, you will not regret it. 

While the leaves are not set to change colors until at least Oct. 16, there are still plenty of fun and free ways to welcome fall. If you are looking to splurge on activities this season, check out last week’s The Paisano article, where we list other things to do. Enjoy the new season and have fun appreciating it.

This poll has ended.

Which cheap way to celebrate fall will you take advantage of?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.