The perfect album for October

Mariana Ramos

Released in 1991, A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory” has remained one of the most pivotal east coast rap albums in the history of music. The hard-hitting sound and smooth delivery have allowed it to stand the test of time in the rap genre. While the group’s sophomore effort is certainly a great listen on any occasion, “The Low End Theory” is best experienced in the gloomy and cloudy weather of the fall. Its incredible production, accompanied by gritty drum tracks and a warm sound, makes it a near-perfect album to listen to in October. Whether you are a rap fan or not, “The Low End Theory” has something for every music fan to enjoy and provides the perfect soundtrack for October.

A huge element of “The Low End Theory’s” warm sound lies within the album’s production. By incorporating elements of jazz through the use of drum, horn and bassline samples, the group established their atmospheric presence as early on as the first track on the album. Pairing the jazz-influenced beats with the smooth delivery of rappers Q-Tip and Phife Dawg allows “The Low End Theory” to produce multiple warm yet mellow-sounding tracks that go hand in hand with the gloomy October weather. 

It is their ability to keep that mellow presence throughout the project’s entirety that gives it that special fall sound. Songs in particular, such as “We’ve Got the Jazz,” “Excursions” and “Butter,” all provide a listening experience that is both calm and relaxing for all enjoyers of music. 

Though it is classified as a rap album, Tribe’s sophomore project has something for everyone to enjoy. While songs such as “Check the Rhime” have that classic 1990s hip-hop sound, other tracks such as “We’ve Got the Jazz” provide a melodic lo-fi experience that jazz listeners would love. The song “Verses From the Abstract” incorporates a live bassline and female singer that is sure to satisfy anyone looking for a mellow R&B experience. Even those looking for more of a rock sound can find something to enjoy on this album. The group ensemble track titled “Scenario” produces a large rock sound, mostly in part because it samples the great Jimi Hendrix. 

“The Low End Theory” is hands down one of the most essential albums for October. Its warm sound provides the perfect contrast for the crisp fall weather, while the lyrical delivery matches the calmness and relaxation the fall season tends to bring. Though October and other fall months are normally associated with music from the alternative and indie genres, “The Low End Theory” will always be one of the perfect albums for that gloomy, cloudy October day. Its atmosphere manages to provide a heady yet mellowed-out sound that every listener should experience during this wonderful month.