Study abroad in Arles, France

Jenna Taylor

The Institute for Education in International Media (ieiMedia) has sponsored summer abroad programs since 2002. They offer travel opportunities in various locations worldwide to students from all schools and all majors. Last Thursday, ieiMedia held an online informational session about their study abroad program in Arles, France. 

During the session, lead presenter and Program Director Rachele Kanigel presented the faculty that will accompany students on their trip to Arles. Accomplished journalist Laird Harrison joins to aid students in their writing and reporting, while decorated photojournalist Bruce Strong joins to assist students with their visual forms of media. 

Kanigel goes on to explain that the accompanying mentors are more than simply instructors; they are  people who possess years of qualified experience and will help add to your portfolio and build your professional skills. 

After introducing these mentors, Kanigel allowed two students who participated in last summer’s program to elaborate on their personal experiences in Arles. They explained how the trip expanded their cultural understanding of the region and allowed them a unique perspective on the different stories that the area had to offer. 

Arles, France, is a city known for its rich current and historical artistic significance. It is stated to be a photographic capital due to its housing of the only national photography school in France. The city is also not “super touristy,” so the experience provided by the trip is authentic as you get to connect with the locals. Popular spots in Arles are the Roman ruins, which include a 2,000-year-old amphitheater that is still in use for bull games today, the Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue (Camargue Regional Natural Park) and the LUMA Tower, an intricately designed building that is home to several public and private spaces. The two main attractions during the trip are the ability to attend the famous Les Suds à Arles Music Festival and the Les Rencontres d’Arles Photo Festival

Even if you are a beginner or know no French at all, this opportunity is still a fully viable option. The program includes hands-on French language instruction available in two self-determined difficulties: beginner and advanced. Students are housed with French host families in Arles that provide students with both language practice and home-cooked meals. The program is a month long and is structured around the main projects that students are tasked with during their stay. 

Students are to complete two journalistic projects — one personal essay and another in a medium of their choice. Both projects are based on the stories that they discover in Arles and can be completed individually or in a group. Beyond schoolwork, students are given free reign of their weekend time and can choose between further exploring the city of Arles, visiting the city of love, Paris, or traveling to many more exciting sites. The study does offer credits, but make sure to double check with your academic advisor to ensure that the credits are accepted or needed for your curriculum. 

The charge for the program is $5,995, not including the costs of traveling to and around Arles, but there are various scholarship opportunities available to offset the full costs of the trip. The application’s priority deadline is Dec. 15 and requires essays, an unofficial transcript and a $50 fee. For more information on the application process and the program as a whole, visit ieimedia.com/get-started/.