Loop 1604 expansion project causes closures near campus

Chloe Williams

There will be many major road and lane closures affecting the Interstate 10 and Loop 1604 interchange this weekend. From Friday evening until Monday at 5 a.m., be prepared for closures on Loop 1604 eastbound on the main lanes from the Vance Jackson Rd exit ramp to the Lockhill Selma Rd entrance ramp and on the collector-distributor, frontage roads and exit ramps at the interchange. 

The construction is a result of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT)’s goal to expand Loop 1604 from SH-16 to I-15. The Loop 1604 Expansion Project aims to improve mobility, reduce congestion and enhance safety on 23 miles of the highly traveled expressway. According to TxDOT, the project could decrease future travel times by as much as 80 minutes.

Nighttime work and lane closures are anticipated to happen between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday evenings through Friday mornings. Digital message boards along the expressway will update drivers on closures, construction and traffic, and TxDOT will send email updates to those who subscribe.

There will likely be closures and shifts along North Loop 1604 as the project goes underway. Drivers should expect temporary traffic shifts and ramp closures Monday through Saturday, as well as overnight lane closures on the main lanes and frontage roads. 

According to KSAT, the eastbound and westbound frontage road lanes for John Peace Boulevard/La Cantera Parkway to and from IH-10 will be closed nightly until Nov. 6, excluding weekends. 

The eastbound and westbound turnarounds will also see daily and nightly closures during this time. There will only be one full frontage lane and turnaround closure per direction. These turnaround lanes have been subject to long-term closures since August as part of the expansion project.

The Loop 1604 Expansion Project is broken down into five segments, including two that are currently unfunded and do not have a start date. 

Construction from SH 16 (Bandera) to I-10 and from IH-10 to 281 began in 2021 and is expected to end in 2024 and 2025, respectively. Construction for the Loop 1604 and I-10 interchange began last year and is expected to be completed in 2027. The estimated total cost for these segments is $800 million, and the unfunded segments total $395 million. 

Current plans include expanding from four lanes to ten with two general-purpose lanes and one high-occupancy vehicle lane in either direction. The project will also reconfigure the layout of auxiliary lanes and entrance and exit ramps, add direct connectors and replace the frontage road intersections with a continuous flow. 

Furthermore, the project will add accommodations for bicyclists, pedestrians and water quality protection; replace the cloverleaf connector at IH 10 with a five-level direct connect interchange and upgrade the intersection at Blanco Rd.

For more detailed information on the closures happening this weekend, visit UTSA’s Real Estate and Property Management website. For more information on TxDOT’s plans to optimize Loop 1604 or to view the project schematics, visit txdot.gov.