Interesting classes to take in Spring 2024

Riley Carroll

Not sure how to fill your schedule next semester? Looking to expand your horizons beyond your major? Here is a list of interesting classes available for registration in Spring 2024. 

NDRB 1033: Drugs and Society

This lower-division, in-person course is open to all undergraduate students and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Social and Behavioral Sciences. This class introduces students to the biological, psychological and social impacts of licit and illicit drugs.

AST 1033: Exploration of the Solar System

This lower-division, online course is open to all undergraduate students and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Life and Physical Sciences. The only restriction is that students must have passed MAT 1023 or MAT 1073 with a C- or better to enroll. With minimal mathematics, this class takes students on a survey of our solar system and its celestial bodies and teaches them about the history and current efforts of its exploration.

CRJ 1113: The American Criminal Justice System

This lower-division, in-person course is open to all undergraduate students, except cyber security majors, and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Social and Behavioral Sciences. This class will provide students with a clear understanding of how the criminal justice system operates, its history and the philosophy and psychology that formed its structure.

SOC 2013: Social Problems

This lower-division course is offered both in-person and online. It is open to all undergraduate students, except cyber security majors, and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Social and Behavioral Sciences. This class gives students an understanding of the causes and consequences of various social issues, such as racism and poverty.

WGSS 2023: Introduction to LGBTQ Studies

This lower-division course is offered both in-person and online. It is open to all undergraduate students and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Language, Philosophy and Culture. Using interdisciplinary approaches, this class examines and challenges normative ideas about gender and sexuality and explores the history of LGBTQ+ communities, among other concepts.

ANT 2033: Introduction to Biological Anthropology

This lower-division course is offered both in-person and online. It is open to all undergraduate students and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Life and Physical Sciences. This class examines topics such as the human fossil record, human origins, genetics and anatomy. Students will also learn about research methodology and theories. 

HUM 2093: World Religions

This lower-division, online course is open to all undergraduate students, except cyber security majors, and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Language, Philosophy and Culture. This class takes students on a journey to learn about the history, beliefs and customs of major religions around the world, from Christianity to Buddhism to Islam. This course allows students to expand their horizons and learn to appreciate the similarities and differences between belief systems. 

CSH 2113: Films From Around the World

This lower-division, online course is open to all undergraduate students and can be used as a core curriculum credit in Language, Philosophy and Culture. This class allows students to explore the way culture can be reflected in cinema and the techniques, features and themes of film industries beyond Hollywood and the United States. 

CLA 2323: Classical Mythology

This lower-division course is offered both in-person and online. It is open to all undergraduate students, except cyber security majors, and can be used as a Core Curriculum credit in Language, Philosophy and Culture. This fun class introduces students to the stories of gods, monsters and heroes of the ancient Greco-Roman world with creative projects and interesting readings. 

HIS 3803: World History in the Cinema

This upper-division course is offered both in-person and online and is open to all undergraduate students, except cyber security majors. This class will examine the ways world history is portrayed in the media and its impact on the public memory, as well as the use of historical accuracy and creative liberties in how they tell stories.

ANT 3883: Death and Dying

This upper-division, in-person course is open to all undergraduate students. This class teaches students about the customs and mentalities around death across cultures, both prehistoric and contemporary. Topics of study include funerary practices, corresponding religious ideas and the role of death in societies, among others.

Students can register on myUTSA (ASAP) in the Registration and Records tab at 7 a.m. on their scheduled days. Priority registration opened on Oct. 30. Registration opens for all seniors on Nov. 3, for all juniors on Nov. 7, for all sophomores on Nov. 9 and for all freshmen on Nov. 14.