Where to sweat when it gets cold

Laynie Clark

As the weather begins to tease freezing temperatures and rainy skies, going on hikes and other forms of outdoor workouts are not exactly feasible. The lack of structure in a sweaty gym is not enough for everyone, so what are the alternatives?

Club Pilates

The goal of Club Pilates is to build strength, mobility and stability through intense reformer workouts. They offer nine different classes, all catering to different needs, though the one to start with is the “Intro Class.” Club Pilates offers a one-time offer for first timers — your first class is free. The free class allows you to take the introductory class, which will give you a 30-minute full-body session geared toward giving a slow introduction to reformer pilates.

Cyclebar

In recent years, indoor cycling has taken off as people’s favorite form of exercise. While many are familiar with SoulCycle, San Antonio does not have one to offer, but there are excellent replacements. Cyclebar is a great place to go for a high-intensity workout. The room is dark with cool lights, loud music and an overall good energy that will keep you motivated throughout the ride. Much like Club Pilates, Cyclebar gives a free ride for all first-timers. 

Hot Worx

If the idea of following an instructor intimidates you, Hot Worx is a great place to get comfortable with it because they only offer virtually instructed workouts. While this may not be ideal for many, Hot Worx offers a variety of infrared, high-intensity and isometric exercises. According to their mission, working out in high temperatures helps speed up the metabolism, increasing the chances of weight loss and a more fulfilling exercise. Unlike most fitness boutiques, Hot Worx workouts are done individually in an enclosed room rather than in a large group activity. Following the others, Hot Worx offers a free workout for first-timers. 

SPENGA

Looking for a workout that can combine all of the previous options? SPENGA exists to “combine the three pillars of fitness” all in one workout. Through each 60-minute workout, you will experience the joys — and pains — of spin, strength and yoga. By combining all three of these pillars, SPENGA workouts are designed to help you avoid burnout by completing one section and moving on to the next without returning to any. On their website, you can find a link to an interest form which, once filled out, will help you get started with a trial offer.

If none of these suit your fancy, perhaps try something a little more creative. Creative workouts can include — but are not limited to — bouldering, pole dancing, aerial arts and martial arts. It does not matter what type of exercise you choose, all that matters is that you take the time to treat your body with love in the form of movement.